Interesting facts on grassroots system

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Interesting facts on grassroots system

Post by Mark Bowles »

Grassroots system has had a bit of an upgrade and it is now possible to click on an individual cow and find its show result history, its really interesting.
Also, this has always been the case, if you put for example EX92 in the animal search name all the EX92 classified animals show up, male and female, don't forget to search alive and dead and you will get the total lists.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Rob R

Re: Interesting facts on grassroots system

Post by Rob R »

Mark Bowles wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 pm Also, this has always been the case, if you put for example EX92 in the animal search name all the EX92 classified animals show up
Not all, only the ones that have been put on the system.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Show results and linear scores can certainly help both giving an outside opinion on the animals.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

The list of VG and EX cows on the DCS under Linear isn't up to date. OR at least it isn't in the case of my herd.

I had cows scored last November - 2016 and July just gone, 2 were Ex and 3 were VG and none of them are included in the list as yet. One of them last November was the oldest cow of ANY breed ever scored by the assessors at 18 years and she made excellent, I would like to see her on the list before she ambles over the rainbow bridge!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

Saffy
We have never taken part in linear but think it a bit odd that the classifications are not put on Grassroots immediately after assessments.
Who is responsible for doing this? Is is Holstein, Grassroots or The Society?

Joan
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Joan,

I think all mine may have their classification given on Grassroots, I can't check as I can't get on...computer glitch I think. BUT they aren't in the "list" on the DCS site about Linear where there is a list of those that have attained VG and EX results. Five of my VG and EX animals are not represented correctly in that list.

Two of these had their results early in November 2016!

Stephanie
Last edited by Saffy on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Jac

Post by Jac »

SteveM wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 am Show results and linear scores can certainly help both giving an outside opinion on the animals.
In the case of show results it only can judge animals forward on the day. This also applies to linear scoring as you can pick and choose which you submit for inspection.
ann

Post by ann »

Re show results does it show how many animals are forward on the day?
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Ann, no they don't show the numbers forward.
Jac, yes you submit which you want for inspection but they are inspected against an ideal as opposed to in the showring where an animal is judged against the others that are forward on the day.
Rob, all classified animals are put on grassroots apart from the last month, the society gets a monthly file from HUK on 1st of the month for the previous months classified stock.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

But it is the Dexter Society that members deal with - given the problems with communications in our society I find it hard to believe that Holstein UK are wholly responsible for the delays.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

The list of VG and EX animals on the linear section pdf has been updated 17th Oct. HUK send in monthly stats so in theory it is a max of 30 days before the animals have the linear score against their prefix on Grassroots.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Jac

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 am But it is the Dexter Society that members deal with - given the problems with communications in our society I find it hard to believe that Holstein UK are wholly responsible for the delays.
Sad I know, but I think what is needed is a members ombudsman so that issues can be collated and sorted out.