Detecting pregnancy by ultrasound

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

As a small time pig keeper I have recently had a problem with my boar not performing properly (he seems to have had a period of infertility) This has led to problems in feediing as we were not sure whether the sows (we only have four!) were pregnant or not.
I eventually did some research and ordered an ultrasound device for the modest cost of $213 (about £150 after shipping and duty etc.
It works really well and allows a diagnosis in about 30 seconds. I tried it today and found that three of the sows are pregnant whilst another is not. This one having not been with the boar, we knew was not pregnant, which seemed to confirm the devices accuracy.

The technology is that of ultrasound and works by reflecting from the back of the uterus. The soundwaves only travel through the uterus if it is filled with amniotic fluid therefore giving a different effect than if the sow is "open"
The bladder gives the same result (if full) therefore the instrument only works if the bladder and uterus are easily distinguished (This is not a problem when testing pigs.)

The firm concerned (Renco) also market a device which works with cattle, although this is just under $2,000 and seems a little more involved. However it also measures backfat and appears to be of help in producing leaner animals, also in controlling feeding during pregnancy (this applies mainy to pigs, I suppose)

I wondered if anyone has tried this device, called a Preg-Alert?
There is also a backfat measuring device called a "leanmeater" which costs about $500.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Peter

The going rate for a manual cow PD (pregnancy diagnosis) by the local Shropshire vet is £3 per cow so it would be difficult to justify the ultrasound cost levels you are quoting unless you were a 'seriously' large scale farmer- though I do admit there is a 60 day wait until after service.

Peter O'Brien
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Now don't laugh (or do if it makes you feel better) but I find dowsing (with something heavy tied to a bit of string) works pretty well with the alpacas. It isn't 100% but then neither is scanning! How to do it? Tie a ring or something a bit heavier to the end of a bit of string or light chain. Hold it over your other hand and ask if you are male or female (whichever you are) the ring should start to swing in a clockwise or anti clockwise circle. This gives you a positive answer. Check for negative by asking a question you know the answer is 'no' to. The ring will swing the other way. You now know which way means yes and which way means no. Take your ring and hang it over an animal you know is in calf. Ask is this animal in calf? You should get the ring swinging in the 'postive' direction. Try some animals you don't know the status of. You may be surprised. It isn't something I'd rely on if it was critical to get it right but I have found it is a good guide as to whether to put the animal with the male again. It will be interesting to hear if anyone else is daft enough to try this :D
Jo Kemp

Post by Jo Kemp »

This year I had three cows scanned - for the two 4 - 5 months pregnant he used the scanner on the outside of the cow and the other in the rectum, like a manual PD but less invasive.
It was very useful, especially as I had taken the cows away from the bull rather quickly as they both had heifer calves and I wondered if he had caught them....he had.

I too wouldn't buy equipment rather bring in an expert
Jo