BSPS payments - Farm subsidies

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jo Kemp

Post by Jo Kemp »

I have just been to my SEERAD office and, on explaining that I had a steer which had qualified for his first payment but wouldn't be 20 months by 31st.December I was given lovely news! I can put in a claim even though he qualifies after the end of the BSPS - a young bull calf, born 9th July this year will also qualify without penalty.
I don't know if this applies only to Scotland but I suggest it may be worthwhile to have a chat with your local DEFRA/SEERAD office if anyone out there hasa steer or bull calf born this year.
Perhaps everyone else has known this for ages!
Jo
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

In my area (covered by Notts RPA, ENGLAND),the scheme closes on 31st Dec, but reading on it says
" if you are claiming on animals which are too young at the time the claim is lodged,then you can indicate the date you want the retention period to start.This date must be within two months of the date that your claim is lodged"
Hence you may be able to claim for animals eligable in Jan or Feb 2005 as long as you lodge your claim before 31st Dec 2004.
So dont miss out!!!
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Joe Bugden

Post by Joe Bugden »

The Defra website gives you all the details about claims for Beef subsidies. Try

http://www.rpa.gov.uk/rpa/rpaweb.nsf?open

Best of luck

Joe
Ken Hobbs

Post by Ken Hobbs »

Just to update you,Council has been on to the RPA a clear and idiots guide will go out to members on the 1st Dec.on the two month rule plus the 25 day grace period.
Robert & Alison Kirk old

Post by Robert & Alison Kirk old »

I hope the following will be easy for members to understand:

Beef Special Premium Scheme claims: Basically if members have steers with a 1st or 2nd claim due between 1 January 2005 and 28 February 2005, providing they submit the claim to their local RPA office by 31 December 2004, subsidy will be paid out on those animals.

The same will apply to anyone wishing to make the one off bull claim.

The two month ruling on BSPS claims: claims can be submitted to your local RPA office up to two months before the due date of the claims, stating commencement date for retention period. Remember if claiming under more than one section per form (ie 1st & 2nd claim & possibly bull claim), commencement of retention dates for each section must be identical.

Don't be afraid to contact your local RPA office.

Alison Kirk
Ken Hobbs

Post by Ken Hobbs »

If DCS members would like a copy of the simple RPA explanation I am happy to forward by email an attachment in Word.or if you would like a laymans explanation please contact me (number in the Bulletin)
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

DCS council have asked me to publish this information.
Q4: What is the latest date I can submit a BSPS claim?

A4: The latest date you can submit a claim without attracting late claim penalties is 31 December 2004. There is, however, a 25 day period of grace for the submission of late claims. Late claims can be submitted up to 25 January 2005 but these claims will be subject to a late claim penalty of 1% per working day.

Q5: Can I request a forward retention date which will start within the 2005 calendar year?

A5: Yes, you may still request a forward retention date starting up to two months from when the claim is lodged. This would mean that a claim lodged on 31 December 2004 may have a retention start date of up to 28 February 2005, and a late claim lodged on 25 January 2005 (the final day of the period of grace for the submission of late claims) may have a forward retention date starting up to 25 March 2005.

Q6: When is the latest date on which my animals can be born in order to qualify under the 2004 scheme year?

A6: Norman Retention.

Claims received on 31 December 2004 with a retention period starting on 1 January 2005.

PREMIUM ELIGIBLE DATES
1st Animals must be born on or after 2 May 2003 but before 2 June 2004
2nd Animals must be born before 2 May 2003
Bull Animals must be born before 2 June 2004

Forward Retention

Producers can specify a forward starting date for the retention period and this date can be up to two months after the claim is lodged. Therefore, the latest date on which the retention period can start for claims received on 31 December 2004 is 28 February 2005.

PREMIUM ELIGIBLE DATES
1st Animals must be born on or after 1 July 2003 but before 1 August 2004
2nd Animals must be born before 1 July 2003
Bull Animals must be born before 1 August 2004

Late Claim (without a forward retention date)

Producers can make use of the late claims provision (up to 25 days) but this will incur a late claim reduction of 1% for every working day that the claim is late. Using this provision, the latest date on which a producer can submit a claim is 25 January 2005, with the retention period starting on 26 January 2005.

PREMIUM ELIGIBLE DATES
1st Animals must be born on or after 27 May 2003 but before 27 June 2004
2nd Animals must be born before 27 May 2003
Bull Animals must be born before 27 June 2004

Late Claim with Forward Retention

It is also possible for producers to submit a late claim and specify the retention start date and, as mentioned above, this date can be up to 2 months after the claim is lodged. Therefore a claim received on 25 January 2005 can have a retention start date of 25 March 2005.

PREMIUM ELIGIBLE DATES
1st Animals must be born on or after 26 July 2003 but before 26 August 2004
2nd Animals must be born before 26 July 2003
Bull Animals must be born before 26 August 2004

Q7: My animals will not be old enough to qualify for BSPS until the 2005 calendar year, however as the scheme is finishing this year, will I still receive payment on these animals?

A7: You may utilise the late claim and forward retention facilities to claim on some animals that become eligible in the 2005 calendar year. However, only animals which are born within the qualifying dates in the above tables will be eligible for premium. Any animals born outside these dates will not be eligible for premium.

Q8: Why do cattle passports show the dates on which animals become eligible for BSPS in 2005?

A8: The subsidy data printed on passports has not yet been amended. However, producers need to be aware that animals can only be claimed under the 2004 scheme (subject to the rules above). Animals will not be eligible beyond the 2004 scheme year.

Ken Hobbs
Treasurer
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I am not too well versed in subsidy details but are members aware that there is to be a new Beef Calf subsidy for those which are 75% or more beef breed, both sexes, quite a substantial rate for the first 10 per holding but reducing thereafter. I think that calves born from early December onwards are eligible. Seems daft to me to introduce a single payment and then this but I don't think I will let that stop me claiming it.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

Remember that if you have a male animal born before 1st August then you will only be able to get the 1st payment on it. It therefore makes sense to claim a bull payment as this is about £40 more than a steer 1st payment.
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

But ..... If you keep your males as bulls for the improved premium but then have to get the vet back for a second visit to castrate them (rather than having all of them done at once) that will take a chunk out of the extra payment. Either that or you have a group of young bulls to care for until they go. Interesting choice!