New rules for TB at shows

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
natmadaboutdexters

Re: New rules for TB at shows

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

I am not implying that we would be complacent, merely that the shows and testing etc would have to be carefully planned to make it worth attending shows. Some shows find it hard to attract Dexters in the first place so to find another reason for them not to be shown is a shame. Yes, we are fortunate that we are in a 4 yealy testing area at the moment but I realise that could change at any time. I know of another Dexter owner who ran a closed herd and the only other contact with cattle was at shows and his cattle contracted TB so attending the shows is a risk for everyone.

Natasha
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

If you are testing animals regularly, personally I'd be very worried. I had a bull that was tested repeatedly because it was sold, then unsold, then sold again but outside the 60 days. He then suddenly went from not even a slight bump to Inconclusive and almost a Reactor, real borderline. Defra came back to test him again 60 days later, and the TB vet said he had a condition that was a relative of TB but harmless, but the condition meant that he would always react to the test and therefore would probably have to be slaughtered next time because they wouldn't be able to tell whether he had BTb or not. I got so fed up with it that I culled him. My best bull :(.

My vet told me that the condition could have been caused by the test. I don't know whether that's right or wrong, or even possible, but that's what he said.
Last edited by Broomcroft on Mon May 07, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Natasha

There are unfortunately other ways for your cattle to catch TB than from other cattle.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Colin

Post by Colin »

A vet once told me it's easier for cattle to catch TB from badgers than other cattle. Something to do with the way badgers more readily secrete TB in their bodily fluids. Don't know if anybody else has heard that.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Colin wrote:A vet once told me it's easier for cattle to catch TB from badgers than other cattle. Something to do with the way badgers more readily secrete TB in their bodily fluids. Don't know if anybody else has heard that.

Regards,

Colin
The DEFRA TB vet told me their internal estimate was 85% from badgers, 10% from cattle to cattle, 5% unknown.
Clive
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi

I went on defra website about the new rules regarding TB and they said that these rules were being brought in to work in conjunction with the badger cull, what a joke, can anyone tell me when these are supposed to start? i heard that they had been put on hold again. Surely they cant keep putting it off. Its about time the goverment actually did what they promised and sorted the problem.

cyndy
debra wiltshire

Post by debra wiltshire »

Reading the details from the Blakesley Show on the 4th August it states quite clearly that "all cattle entered for the show must have a valid 60 day pre-movement TB test cert. which will need to be shown prior to unloading".
I rang the organisers to ask if this one day show would be under cover and was told that the request was from the actual land owner....
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Colin

Post by Colin »

Although I was probably asking the obvious, I emailed Defra to ask for clarification on the new TB rules with respect showing. Took some time to get an answer, but they have confirmed that housing means pre-movement testing will be required if animals are kept in a structure with a roof and walls and this includes marquees with ‘sides’.

Also the 24 hour time period starts on arrival at the showground, not at the point an animal leaves the farm/home premises.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Colin, did you ask about a marquee without it's sides fitted or a structure just to provide a roof only.
Interesting the 24 hour, that means you could do an overnight stay.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi Mark,

It applies when there are sides as well as roof, so not just roof only. Here's the full response: The risk of TB transmission is increased when infected cattle share airspace with other cattle in an enclosed environment. To reduce the risk of transmission from cattle with undetected disease, pre-movement testing will be required if animals from multiple holdings are to be housed i.e. kept in a structure with a roof and walls (NB this includes marquees with ‘sides’). This matches the definition in Wales, who introduced this policy in 2010.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest