TB Testing

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Our TB test is read this afternoon and I am pretty nervous about it. I never, ever felt like this about a TB test before, when it happens it changes your perspective!

One or more of our lovely placid cattle may have to be shut in a shed to wait several weeks for a lorry ride to the abattoir and it is a horrible thought!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Stephanie, just in case you haven't, please check my second reply to your email. Margaret.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

It is a horrible thought and having had a false alarm that went on for a year or more, it makes you think twice about keeping cattle at all. Even herds that are completely closed and with no cattle as neighbours still get it. But what can you keep as it may be now spreading to other species. Can humans be next? I was told by word of mouth that a worker in our local abattoir had contracted it; have never had that verified though. Good luck Stephanie.
Clive
Colin

Post by Colin »

It is a grim experience that's for sure. My two IRs are shut in isolation in our barn whilst we await their fate and we won't know for many more weeks yet. The uncertainty of this disease is one of the most difficult aspects.

Like Stephanie I've also carefully selected the right animals, at least for me. And I've put a lot of time into training one of those that is now an IRs. She's my best quality show animal and my 10 year old daughter led her around the show ring last year and got a third prize. I have hopes for her also in future breeding development of my herd. To lose all that would be a bitter blow. Earlier this year I bought a very nice young bull, who is coming on a treat. I paid a lot for him and had the premovement and all blood tests done to make sure he was healthy. I'd like to show him too and his halter training is going well. But this could all be lost in an instance. TB testing from now on will be a very nervous time. So a little bowed, but determined not to be beaten.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Well some good news at last we passed - and with flying colours!!! Absolutely fine.

Also we had a letter this morning about the cow that was taken, confirming that there were no visibale lesions and there was a negative culture result. It went on to say that as long as this test was clear - i.e. no Reactors or IRs, we will be back to a yearly test - wahay!!! :D

When we had the first test and a couple of the animals had small lumps the vet thought it a bit worrying and seemed to expect a Reactor. Yet this time those cows were all OK, completely flat - so what of the cow that went? I cannot help but wonder!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Colin

Post by Colin »

That's great news Stephanie. You must be delighted.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I am very relieved.

Do you know when your next test will be?

I have heard several people say that they have had the odd one or two with lumps that are then completely flat on the next test, so fingers crossed that is what happens with yours. Chris and I have had a horrible couple of months and don't envy you your wait.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have to have it done between mid-August and mid-Sept. One of the IRs is due to calf on 1st Sept, so I'll try and leave it as late as possible.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Saffy, glad to hear your good news but it so sad that this is becoming more of a problem for all of us. When I first joined the bulletin board I read the problems Sylvia was having and it seemed such a remote issue, now it is just too common.

Colin - finger crossed for your re-test.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We got the official letter yesterday to say restrictions are lifted - I only gave it a cursory glance, fortunately Chris read it properly and noticed an error. It stated we had been shut down for over a year! It took a little arguing on the telephone to extract a promise of another letter with the correct dates, I don't want the records to show we were shut down all that time with TB when we were not!!!

So if any of you have been shut down with a possible TB problem - when you get your restrictions lifted, read the letter.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Colin

Post by Colin »

They do seem a little error prone. The haulier who phoned to arrange to pick up the reactor had been told he had 3 cows to collect not 1. The other 2 were our IRs. It took some convincing to get it sorted.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Colin

Post by Colin »

Well some very good news. Our whole herd TB re-test proved negative, including the two IRs. Quite a nerve racking morning. Also the culture test result on the slaughtered reactor was negative. I'm hoping Defra will now confirm we are in the clear, but we'll have to await the official decision. The two IRs have recently had two very nice little calves, one heifer and one bull and all were delighted to be out of isolation and back in the field.

A great relief.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Colin - that is such wonderful news, I am very pleased for you and the Dexters! :D
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Colin

Post by Colin »

Well we're now offically clear and all restrictions are lifted. So a line is drawn under this for 2010. I must admit this episode has left me with some doubts about this whole testing procedure. Anybody else getting IRs this year ? Our test was done in June.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I think many of us have doubts Colin - our cow that went made me wonder, as many of our others all though none were IRs had small lumps and if you remember because of that the vet was EXPECTING a reactor! Yet none of those had lumps the next time - least of all were IRs or reactors so what of the test and what of the cow that went? She had no visible lesions and nothing grew from cultures - a better test or vaccination or something needs doing for the sake of the cattle. :(

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny