York Rare Breed Show and Sale 8/9 Oct

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
rodmet

Post by rodmet »

48 entries have been received for the Sale and 12 for the Show and if the catalogue is anything to go by there will be a good mix of quality cattle.
So why not come along,see what's on offer,and spend some time with like minded people??
The Auction is at Murton,which is very easy to get to being East of York and 1/2 mile from the ring road - Hull/Bridlington exit.
Look forward to seeing you.
Rod Metcalfe
andy

Post by andy »

Hi Rod,

Can you post the date (and times) of the Show & Sale please?

Andy
rodmet

Post by rodmet »

Exact programme is not yet finalised but usually the Show is on Saturday morning - Oct 9th - with the Sale in the afternoon.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Rod,
can you confirm that the cattle are to be inspected.If i remember correctly the auctioneers last year just ran the cattle thru the ring without saying wether they had passed or failed inspection.
I may be wrong but i think the DCS had made a decision not to send inspecters to the sale for this reason this year. Do you know if the DCS are supporting this sale in any way,ie promotion,the show etc.
They didnt show much support for Melton!.
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Penny

Post by Penny »

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the show is actually at 2pm on the Friday and then the sale on the Saturday, with cattle starting at 11am
rodmet

Post by rodmet »

Sorry about the vagueness on timing,will get the precise info and post it asap.
Re your question,Mark,aparently last year there was a problem and the DCS decided not to send inpectors or a judge to this year's Sale.It was reported that the Auctioneers were difficult/uncooperative which surprises me because this year I have had some dealings with them and they could not have been more helpful.Anyway the DCS wants to support the Sale in the future but it is too late to do anything this year.
Carol Clark has kindly agreed to judge the Show.Hope to see you there.
rodmet

Post by rodmet »

For the record I can confirm that Penny's timing is correct ie 2.00 ish Friday for the Show and 11.00 ish for the Sale on Saturday.Hope you will be their - dont forget the cheque book!!
rodmet

Post by rodmet »

I thought I should report on the Show and Sale at York.
The Show,kindly judged by Carol Clark,was won by 2 Northerners but also by a very welcome visitor from Lambourn(Wiltshire???).The winning heifer got to £1250 in the auction with son Sam forbidding father Graham Hunt to sell her!Look out all who are intending to show next year!
The attendance at the Auction was incredible and prices were strong across the quality,sex,age,leg,and colour range - although I do feel that bull keepers get a poor deal.
All in all a good couple of days for dexters.
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

I have to admit I was suprised that the winning heifer was not sold for a bid of over £1300 (1250 guineas)
I wonder if animals should be entered in the show if they are not to be sold for what seems a very good price?

My other thought was that there seemed to be a lot of bulls which were not making anything above either the meat or the cull price. Perhaps its very difficult to judge a good bull when its a young calf?

But is was a good sale, and I bought a pig.