selling older cows

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

As a matter of interest, is there a market for older Dexter cows? I have an 11 year old cow who has not given us a calf for two years but now appears to be in-calf. She was destined for the OTMS scheme but now she is pregnant I will obviously have to keep her a few months longer. I am now wondering if it would be better to sell her with her calf early next year. Is there much interest in older cows or is it best to stick with my original plan? Any suggestions please?

Natasha
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

It depends what you are trying to achieve. I have just sold 2 older cows at essentially the value of the calves (both were well into pregnancy) plus a small amount. I would have got more if I'd let them give birth then sent then off, but they were old friends and I like to think of them enjoying a year or two of retirement.

So, yes, there is a market if you sell them cheaply enough but be careful you know where they are going to.
Bury Hill Farm

Post by Bury Hill Farm »

You do not state whether the cow you mention is a pedigree or not & how long you have owned her ?

As I treat my Dexters as a generally non commercial venture if I have owned a cow for a number of years and she has given pleasure as well as calves I am inclined to keep them on much longer than maybe you should if keeping them purely commercially.

I find that even if an old girl becomes barren she can still be a useful member of the herd, even if only as a companion for some younger more timid animals as an aid to calm them or make them easier to handle. I have a few old girls in my herd which are 14, 15, 16 years old and would not even contemplate putting them through the OTMS even if I had no room for them a good home for free would still be the preferred option.

I would agree with Peter in that there is still a market for an older cow if the price is right and surely a good home to retire to is a much better option than the OTMS ! and at 11 she still has some good useful life left in her.
redhill

Post by redhill »

In this area there is a growing demand for a Dexter with a calf, from the grassland project people ,they have small areas of grassland, ajoining their houses which grows wild flowers through spring and summer, and is made into hay at about this time of year. They dont want the hastle of sheep, and an older Dexter cow with a calf soon become pets,while still keeping the grassland under control. Sue Forest of Dean.

ps. and they quite like horns sue
moomin

Post by moomin »

How lovely to hear from Bury Hill farm! I thought I was the only one who kept my old girls in retirement. I am commercial and have a farm butchery but I can still find enough room to keep old girls that have given me a lifetime of pleasure and many calves. They have earned a happy retirement. When they have to go I have them put down at home. They also do a useful job training youngstock for me. There is nothing wrong with keeping a pet cow purely for pleasure.
Di
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

I have a 15 year old who did not calve last year but totally unexpectedly did so this year. I was considering taking her to the OTMS because she had developed a limp. She seems quite happy and has been served again so she will have at least another year.

I often have new customers who insist on buying heifers even though they have little experience of keeping cattle. I always advise them to take an older cow with calf at foot and guaranteed in calf and the cow can teach them a thing or two. Most don't listen.

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Thank you to everyone who replied, I will have to decide once the calf is born I think. My trouble is that I have limited room in my winter housing and can't really keep the cow for her retirement. We have only had her two years and she has only had two calves registered since 1999. This may be down to her previous owner not registering the calves.
Natasha :)
Inger

Post by Inger »

I do the same Pennielea. Though the buyers don't get the choice, as I don't sell in-calf heifers. They have to have at least one calf for me, before I'll sell them. If any have had calving problems, they can only go to an experienced new owner. Otherwise I'd rather eat them. Thankfully we don't have many in that category. :)

I have sold once calved heifers, in-calf again, but I prefer to sell a much older cow to a beginner. Cows that have calved 3 or 4 times before, know what they're doing and the new owners only have to watch (if they're up early enough) and learn. A much better experience for a beginner than worrying about a calving going wrong.

Edited By Inger on 1218317370
Inger
NZ
CarolineL

Post by CarolineL »

We bought our first Dexters this year, 2 cows bought as in calf, 1 heifer who hadn't run with the bull, and 1 steer, from one herd. The oldest, Pepper, had missed a calf last year and we didn't test them as in calf so it was a risk, however we wanted an older and wiser cow to show the others (especially the heifer, Doris, who is Pepper's daughter from 2 years ago) what to do. Pepper has had a lovely male calf and calved with no problems - hopefully Doris was taking notes! Very glad we took the risk on the older cow, and definitely worth recommending to beginners.
Caroline.
Ferryboat Dexters
Richard Knott & Caroline Littler
Thorganby
York
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

I cant bare the thought of my old girls going through the otms scheme, and we have decided that the last of my pre 96ers will live out her days on the farm. if she becomes unproductive then she will be put down on farm. they want us to get rid of them but in my mind the sums dont add up. if you use the scheme and get your £200 then you cant afford to get a cow or heifer with that money, so why not keep your productive cows?
they are trying to frighten us by saying the collection charges will be high etc but its all spin to try and clear up the last remains of the bse fiasco.

To go back to the point ending there lives in a cattle truck then into an abattoir does not befit my old cows years of service.
call me soft

dominic
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Well said Dominic you old softy :;): and surely if they can have calves well into their teens and carry on being productive which most Dexters can as long as their feet are looked after, this should also mean more sales of heifers and/or beef and a healthier bottom line.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
jeanthomas

Post by jeanthomas »

Hi Domsmith, you are not soft. I too have an old cow, who frankly has not calved recently, but she comes bulling and keeps my bull entertained, if you know what I mean. She also keeps the younger ones in order and regularly takes on baby sitting duties. Why have Defra got such a schedule?? I am mistified. She is related to everything I have and is an asset even now! She will be put down at home when the time comes, at what ever cost, she deserves that!!

Jean
Louise Badcock

Post by Louise Badcock »

I had my old cow (Beeches Della 11th) PTS on the farm a few weeks ago. She was over 17 and not in calf. I was quite happy for her to just stay and keep the others in order but she went very lame and the vet said the best thing was PTS before it got worse.
However she was killed and taken away free under the Defra scheme.
Louise
Rutherford

Post by Rutherford »

I usually have at least one pensioner on the place and they still act as nursemaid in retirement, the last two were both nearly twenty before they stopped calving, at fifteen you would never pick them out from the rest. The attitude of Defra is unforgivable. We are barred from using them, and told we cannot sell them at an arbitrary age when our Dexters are still in their prime. If you have a cow with bad arthritis whatever the age, it is unfair to keep her; cows don’t easily show when they are in pain.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
happy hollidays

Post by happy hollidays »

Sorry Beryl, I am showing my ignorance here, what age does Defra state you can sell/use your girls? I am shocked. My ram's mother was 12 and was going back in with the tup again. I have a boar who is under 4 and has arthritus who is going to be pts as soon as the school hols are over.