Increase of BSE testing age to 48 months?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Just got this from the NFU...

"The European Commission, based on the opinion of the European Food Standards Agency, has agreed that Member states can increase the age of BSE testing to 48 months. To do this those Member states that are eligible must apply to modify their national testing programme which must then be approved by SCOFCAH based on criteria agreed at their meeting in June of this year.

During discussions with the commission it has been made clear that the UK does fit the criteria laid out to lift the age to 48 months. The NFU will now be pushing the FSA and Defra to ensure we apply for this modification at the next SCOFCAH meeting in October; this would affect testing of clean cattle at abattoir and the TSE fallen animal testing scheme. If approved it is likely that these changes will take effect in early 2009. See the NFU press release for further details."
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

As i understand it, OTM cattle will still need to be boned at the abattoir. so it wont help late finishers, i cant undertsand why though.

i believe that only 8 cases of bse have been found with the bse testing none of them under 48 months. if that is true then what is the risk that requires boning.

dominic
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Oh dear! I had assumed that we would be able to take dexters on till 48 months without using a special and often distant abattoir and create some even more stunning beef. Surely this will now happen in time though. From the research I have done, no grass-fed cattle has ever (in the world) contracted BSE. That's what the grass-fed beef producers say so it must be right! (joke). And no Dexter has ever had it either.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1222674577
Clive