Newbie! Advice please

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi to all, I have just purchased my first Dexters

1 Cow in calf with 16 month steer & yesterday 2 cows. All of the cows are pedigree.

The advice I need is concerning the 2 girls I purchased yesterday at a livestock market.

I have no information concerning if they have been running with a bull and want to AI as soon as possible if not in calf. I was told the steer would be all over them at some point if not in calf. When they come into heat how long have I got to source the AI? If they do not come on heat I won't know who the bull was unless I try contacting their previous owner. Should I have them scanned?

I will be joining the Dexter Society in the very near future and look forward to learning about this lovely breed. To say I am a little green is an understatement so please bear with me asking daft things.
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Are your cows registered? Were you given a green card with their passports? If so, if they have been served you should also have a yellow? card giving details of the bull.

If you do not have these cards the cows may not be registered even if they are pure bred.

Having them PD'd by the vet is the best way to check for pregnancy and you will also be given an approximate (very) age of any calf which is there. You will need to secure the cows for PD either in a crush or behind a gate.

If they are not in calf your vet could inject them to ensure they are ready for AI at the same time. He/she will tell you when they should come into season after the injection so you can arrange for AI.

As for contacting the seller, I do not think it is entirely fair to take advantage of rock bottom auction prices and then expect the same help from the seller as someone who has bought privately and probably paid a fairer price.

I am not criticising you, you bought the cows entirely fairly. But selling minorities at auction is often undertaken in desperation and after commission, tolls and transport it is entirely possible that the seller has actually lost money or done little more than break even. They will doubtless be delighted if their animals have gone to a good home but I doubt anyone under these circumstances would feel they should offer ongoing support.

I expect others will have different views, that is what this site is all about.
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi, yes they came with a green card but not a yellow one. I do appreciate your view but at the same time if i had not purchased them someone else would have done. Better that they did indeed sell to bring some revenue in for the seller.

I do not expect on going support from the breeder and will learn in the same fashion as I did with my Gloucester Old Spot pigs, by hard work. Having forum's to search and ask questions certainly is a bonus though.
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
Rutherford

Post by Rutherford »

dizzydex take a look at HOLSWORTHY MARKET, somehow I have posted under the wrong topic!!!
Beryl(Woodmagic)
monica waltho

Post by monica waltho »

Welcome Julie,
I dont think you should apologise for the prices you paid, and I would try to contact the seller if possible ( if the seller cares about there animals whatever the price they would try to help) to find out if they have run with a bull it would give you something to go on but if you have a steer and other cows chances are you will know in 3wks any way but if you dont see anything get the vet or you could assume they are incalf when they arent as some cattle dont show much.
Perhaps if the vender had made this clear at time of auction they may have made more money -if you have to get these cattle in calf and wait for nine months for a calf they arnt so cheap.
I bought my first cow at auction she was sold as pedigree infact she was a grade C but all her heifers could be registered. I have bought quite a few cattle at auctions some rarebreed sales some local markets where they have been included in the normal sale but advertised the week before , but alot just get dumped into sales for whatever reason, but whatever the auction some people do not supply enough imformation or even accurate info or the autions dont pass it on so what seems cheap can end up expensive or you have something you dont want.
Good luck with your purchases and I sure we would all like to know how you get on
Can I be nosey and ask what are there pedigree names?
Monica
Smallwood Dexters
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi your not being nosey - Knivers Meadow Iris & Woodmagic Mallard 7th.
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hi Dizzy,

Are they both black or are either of them dun or red?

What ages are they?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi they are both black. One was born 2003 and the other 2004
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
monica waltho

Post by monica waltho »

Thanks for the info, your Woodmagic cow was bred by Beryl who replied to you earlier and Im sure shes pleased to know where she is. That cow will be a non-short and will not carry the bulldog gene which Beryl has eliminated from her herd and inspired many others to do.
You have bought a good cow to start off your herd as Woodmagic cattle and their descendants have been exported all over the world.
Monica
Smallwood Dexters
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello again Dizzy,

I bought a sister to one of yours Wm Mallard 8th, see below, from Beryl last year, as an in calf heifer. After some time and a little patience she is the quietest cow you could wish for and wraps her neck around you when you stroke her, then gives you a nice wash!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi Stephanie, they are lovely. I feel very fortunate to have fallen upon such a good line. Beryl can rest assured that she will be well looked after. I will post a pic later.
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello again Julie,

The first pic I put up of Mallard 8th and her calf was taken at the beginning of April this year, when the calf was very cute and only about a week old. The one below was taken on 25th August, she is still milking really well and he goes around with milk smeared all over his face, unaware that he looks rather amusing.

Stephanie

Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Rutherford

Post by Rutherford »

Hi dizzydex, I didn’t know when I last posted that I had a proprietary interest, am so glad you purchased her, I do know there would be quite a few overseas breeders would envy you, and hope she fulfils the promise she should have for you. I look upon my ‘M’ family as my best, they all go back to my original foundation cow ‘Mudstopper’ who was an outstanding animal and over the years has provided the majority of my bulls. Please do keep us posted.
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

I will! You have really made my day thank you. The pics did not happen today as we ended up shearing, not the cows :), due to the weather we have been on a long list of smallholders waiting for shearing and at the last minute today it was our turn. Its been a long day but our new friends came up for their hay tonight, they seem very relaxed and happy. I have even been able to use a grooming brush on one this evening. I found it quite calmimg after my hectic day. Pics tomorrow I promise!
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
Inger

Post by Inger »

Nice to get the shearing out of the way for another year too, isn't it. :)
Inger
NZ