Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
dexter emily

Post by dexter emily »

Hi everyone

I'm a new member (currently with no dexters) but really keen to do as much research as possible before I take the plunge. I currently breed Hebridean sheep with no room for dexters so acquiring them may be a long term project (unless I get rid of the sheep- vvv unlikely)!

Basically a few questions. If there is a really good book anyone can recommend please let me know!

1)Equipment? What pieces of kit should I have other than housing? I saw in an earlier post a discussion about cattle yokes. What do people think vs crushes? Calving jacks?

2)Vaccinations? What does everyone else use? We BTV-8 our sheep and are moving onto Heptavac too. I enjoying showing my sheep and probably would be interested in showing Dexters too. Basically I don't want to bring any nasties home with me. What do people recommend and are vets normally happy to supply small numbers of doses? IBR, BVD, Clostridial?

3)Where is the best place to find out more about the TB status of where we live? I'm based in Lancashire so I think it is quite quiet in that respect. DEFRA or vets?

4)Finally (for now) I saw someone recommend earlier 1 acre per beast. Does this account for producing feed for over winter? Our land is pretty wet in winter so overwintering outside wouldn't be an option, the sheep make enough mess! But how do u judge how much silage /haylage is enough?

Sorry if these appear very novicey questions. Maybe they're not the important questions to be asking at this stage.
This forum is brilliant I must say! I have learnt so much from reading other people's posts alone. There is clearly a wealth of knowledge out there!

Any help would be much appreciated

Emily
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Emily,

Welcome - this is one of the best places for info on Dexters, if you do ever buy Dexters you can ask questions and get almost instant answers here!

Beryl Rutherford has written a nice book but it isn't particularly meant for how to look after a Dexter but would help a little - I wish someone would write one - perhaps "Buying and Keeping Dexters - Your First Year".

I bought a Dexter sized crush - better known as a yearling crush before mine arrived - best thing in the world.

As for acreage per beast - that depends on so much - how goos the land is - how good the ley is - how well it is managed!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Emily,

Welcome - this is one of the best places for info on Dexters, if you do ever buy Dexters you can ask questions and get almost instant answers here!

Beryl Rutherford has written a nice book but it isn't particularly meant for how to look after a Dexter but would help a little - I wish someone would write one - perhaps "Buying and Keeping Dexters - Your First Year".

I bought a Dexter sized crush - better known as a yearling crush before mine arrived - best thing in the world.

As for acreage per beast - that depends on so much not just whether you want to make hay - how good the land is - how good the ley is - how well it is managed!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Emily and welcome

1 acre per beast over the winter would be on the low side for me, but we're on clay. I use about 2 acres per beast over the winter if they are out ALL the time. But the type of land and soil will make all the difference and also how much you dislike poaching of the ground and whether you mind reseeding etc. I kept most of my animals in this winter and just 5 outside 24/7, in fact they've never been in a building. They are the best animals on the farm, in excellent condition all the time. I fed them hay in a ring feeder most of the winter but nothing else at all. They have hedges and a few large trees for cover.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1241964290
Clive
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Having had to call the vet out to a recent calving, Calving jacks are pretty useless as they are too big to use on Dexters especially Heifers. On the plus side, we have a great calf shelter in the field that is ideal for dexters, even if I do sometimes bang my head on the roof inside! Good luck if you decide to purchase any. :)
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

we had to jack a calf out of a wee dexter cow last week. she was in calf to the angus and was a second calver. it was as big as i would ever like to have a calf, and my ability was tested to the limit.

but the jack worked and the cow and calf are doing very well.

this all happened outside in a thunder storm, working with a 4 foot metall pole( the jack). not very pleasant.

be prepared for anything!

dominic
jem

Post by jem »

Although I have had my Dexters for a couple of years now, I still consider myself very much a newbie too, so I know where you are coming from!

The one thing that surprised me immensely when I first got my cows was their desire to be in any field except the one you wanted them in! They are true Houdini's and will escape just for the sheer hell of it, even if the grass in their field is perfect. But if you keep sheep, I suspect you have stock-fencing everywhere. I also keep horses, so stock fencing is a bit of a no-no for them, but 2 strands of wire happily kept the horses where they were meant to be. I now have 5 strands of wire and still have to supplement this with electric fencing. I also use electric fencing to sub-divide my field, but the cows know immediately when the battery is flat and will go through the fence the moment it does so!

I was also taken by surprise by the sheer strength of them, despite their small stature. They're stronger than a large horse.

I have had great advise from the person I bought my cows from and there is always excellent advice on this website. But one book I found very useful when I started was "Suckled Calf Production" by Richard Fuller which at least gave me an overview of where I was heading.

I would not be without my cows now, and only wish I had more land so I could keep more of them...Dexters are very addictive!
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

hi emily, where in lancs r u? we live in belthorn, a former milkin farm, we keep 30 dexters shorts n non shorts trying to breed polled, i love them. we keep blue n white texels and saddleback pigs. we r on year 5 and still learning. jean jordeth
j.nuttall
dexter emily

Post by dexter emily »

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty determined that I will be getting some dexters! Even in I have to wait a while. I might try and get hold of that book and maybe do some crush research. I also enquired today about a DCS membership so hopefully I can keep upto date with what is happening.

Thanks again

Emily

P.s Some of the photos in the forums are brilliant and really inspiring for a newbie like me. All your herds look lovely. Keep them coming!

Edited By dexter emily on 1242067352
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

Hi Emily,
tb test round here is every 4 years except evey year for three years with a new heard.We are about 12 minutes away from you,going to a show next week.We bt,worm and delouse.We thought royal lancs was rubbish so wont miss it.hope to here from you soon.

Jean
j.nuttall
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Emily, we use a standard cattle crush, it's just a basic one, not especially small and it works great. It's made by AEI and it's not their really basic one, it's the next one up and I think it's called a Warrior crush but I wouldn't swear to it. If you want to know precisely let me know and I'll get the info.

Any smaller and you get a bit tight on dexters in calf. When they're heavily in calf and nearly due we don't put them through the race anyhow.

Calves will turn around in it but that doesn't matter. We have a little calf crate for them. The yokes will still hold a calf at say 5 months of age no problem.

Five years ago it cost us £750 brand new. It wouldn't do feet, but we don't want that because we use a travelling foot trimmer who insists on using their own crate. That's what most people do that I know, even if they have just a few cattle.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1242628406
Clive
dexter emily

Post by dexter emily »

Thanks for the advice on crushes. I was planning to have a good look at the agricultural shows this season and see what the best deal I can get is. Thank you for the information regarding which types you have and I will definitely bear it all in mind.

Jean we entered the Royal Lancs last year and have come to the conclusion our entry fees are paying off the Myerscough site and are no more. Which shows are you going to and are you taking Dexters or Sheep? I think we are showing at the Great Eccleston show and the Goosnargh and Longridge Show. Maybe also the Haigh show and Westmorland. Which means I have LOTS of training to do when I get back from uni. Will you be at any of those?

Best wishes to all

Emily
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

we entered r lancs 2 years ago when it was cancelled there was no refund. we are going gt harwood, bury, gt ecc, goosnargh, haigh and keithley and few more, we take dwarves, dutch bantams, texels and yes the dexters not all shows have classes round here, so its good practice fr us and a good attractionand promotion,jean jordeth
j.nuttall
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

we bought our crush from a farm sale it was £20.00 bargain eh, more money saved too buy more cows, needed plenty of men too get it home and then its been brill done the job. :) :)
j.nuttall
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

I also got my crush from a farm sale. Mine cost me £40, but then the same again to get it delivered!
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove