Bull Deadweights

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've just culled two dexter bulls and the deadweights have just been emailed to me so I thought they might be of interest:

Bull 1, age 30 months, deadweight 287 kg

Bull 2, age 8 years, deadweight 318 kg

Bull 1 was well within the breed standard height-wise, bull 2 was over-height by about 1.5" (38 mm).
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

are you using the beef?

d
acrossthesea

Post by acrossthesea »

We recently culled a 5 year old just on the limit and he weighed 307 kgs on the hook. He went for mince and burgers. I cant get my head around one weighing in at 400 kgs on the hook posted on another topic as ours was a big brute. (and bad tempered).
Howard Hilton. Hilhead Dexters N.Ireland.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Same with these, they will have gone for mince and burgers etc. I was truly amazed at the hook weight of the smaller one. I guessed his deadweight would be about 240, and it was nearly 290! He was only just above my hip and a non-short! They will fetch nearly £2 a kilo deadweight at current rates.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1243544735
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Just a note that we got £600 each for the two bulls we sent for burgers. One was 8 years old, the other 32 months.
Clive
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Made the mistake of sending two of our cows OTM through the liveweight market this week and got very poor prices. Will def. send deadweight next time as we would have got over twice the price per kilo! :(

Natasha
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

The older one, at 8 years of age, actually graded the best and we got £2.10 per kilo deadweight. So he fetched about £650 without any costs to us at all except a 20 minute trip to the abattoir, and none of the effort needed when trying to sell bulls or the cost of registration either. We're just going to use bulls and then cull now even if the price goes down. That way we are avoiding all the hassle of selling. It also enables us to breed better because we can turn over quickly and improve our stock instead of just using the same bull for years and years. It's a no cost option.

Interestingly, the smaller one who everyone who saw him said he was a fine beef bull was actually too fat, but we still got £2 a kilo DW. It seems that when they are overage (meaning over 16 months at this abattoir for a bull) then the penalty for fat is not much at all, which is great.
Clive