Feeding straw

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Hello Everyone

Another quick question on feed. Our ground is getting a little poached, so I am planning to house our three this weekend. They are now in good condition having been fed the last of our silage for 2 months. Is it acceptable to feed them on wheat straw and a feed block (Rumevite) whilst housed for the next 2-3 months before turnout? If so how much straw do you think they will get through? Many thanks

Spencer
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

From my island fortress I am not too well up on prices of straw versus hay in different areas, but I would be very wary of a sudden change from all silage to all wheat straw. Barley or oat straw not so bad. I also wonder about the use of rumevite - I have always thought of it as one of the most expensive ways of feeding, and if the cattle are inside why not use a cheaper concentrate if they need it at all. My Dexters have not seen anything to eat except hay last winter and this, and seem to do reasonably well. Currently they are getting just under two bales of hay between 8, three of these being 2004 weaned calves. I would think about getting good hay instead of rumevite, and keeping the straw as bedding.
Others more used to easy supplies of straw may have different views.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Spencer,
I will also be feeding strw this winter but not as a total feed. between my 6 (large) cows and a bull I have budgeted for 2 bales of hay & 2 bales of barley straw per day.I will be using wheat straw for bedding. Although they will pick through the wheat straw I do not believe it is the best thing to use as it is not as digestable as other straws.
I also use Rumevite blocks when my herd is grazing but when they are inside (they are still out now but will come in over the Christmas break) if they require any suplimentary feed I will use a normal cattle nut. Normally I would keep a good eye on them and only feed the ones that need it, as it is easy to let money slip through your fingers whilst your cattle get fat. You will find that some will do better on straw than others, I used to keep sheep and never fed hay to the flock exept for the few that for some reason did not take to it, these where seperated and fed hay, & where normally the ones further down the pecking order as the dominant ones always got first choice.

Martin
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Thank you for the useful advice Duncan and Martin

I have sourced some barley straw from a neighbouring farmer so have decided to feed hay and straw on alternate days. I have also put out a mollassed feed block.

Thank you once again. Regards.

Spencer
Marg Rawlings

Post by Marg Rawlings »

As we are fortunate in Oz to not have to house cattle, but due to drought have had to feed straw. We found that by spraying some molasses watered down onto the straw it seemed more palatable to the animals. Alternating will make them prefer the hay and this may help reduce costs by sweetening the straw.

A dry feed block with all the minerals is also what we find we have to use. Also having dolomite or crushed limestone loose in tubs for them if they need it is also useful.

Good luck and hoping for a mild winter for you. Save a thought for us we are sweltering in 40 degree C days at the moment.

Merry Christmas

Marg Rawlings
Marg Rawlings
Rawlings Dexter Stud
Tasmania Australia
www.dexterbeef.com.au
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

I find that if I alternate between two types of hay, they tend to chuck the not so nice stuff around and waste it, waiting for the better stuff. I think it may be better to mix it together. I feed a very coarse hay and find that they will put down their own bedding with it ie. chuck it around the stall until the floor is covered. Saves on bedding and oddly enough, my hay costs less than half of what wheat straw does. The other interesting thing is, they seem to do very well on very little although I do feed some beet pulp. I feed slightly less than a bale a day (40 lb. bales) for two cows and two 6-7 month calves (and that includes their "hay" bedding).

Kathy
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada