When are my cows bulling?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Di - I know nothing about AI except I asked about it about a year ago on this board and was put off by the difficulties and low hit rate. Apparently if you can get the timing to perfection, it can be good, but as you will probably have to rely on someone coming in to do it, they won't always be available. In this sort of situation people were saying that success rates well below 50% were normal.

Bulls aren't a problem if you can get the right one, a nice quiet one to hire in. I think you said you didn't have any young female calves around so a bull might be the easiest option. The cows will make sure the bull gets the timing right.
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

usually steers will give you an indication of bulling, this very morning a cow was fighting with a steer and on closer inspection she was bulling. a bulling string on the back of the tail like a thick mucus.

ai technician called and job done at lunch time. its her 2nd shot so fingers crossed.
we have had a good hit rate this year. ai used on 8 cows 4 1st time 3 2nd time and 1 (so far) 3 attempts.
used all my dex semen so fingers crossed.

i think you need to look for the slightest change in behaviour cows mounting is the obvious but agression can also be a sign

good luck

dom
tooloos

Post by tooloos »

If you re struggling to spot your cows bulling you can speak to your vet and they can give them a prid which you take out after five days or so, then give the cow an injection and she comes on a bulling 48hrs later and you can inseminate again after 72hrs we had to do this to one of our cows and it worked
Issy

Post by Issy »

Hi Di, as the calves are just 2 and 3 months old might they not be bulling yet. Pumpkin always takes 4 or 5 months off after a calf (I know that isn't ideal in a big herd but it doesn't matter for us and she fits in well in all other aspects) but then she comes bulling with avengence and usually mugs me until the AI man arives. She usually takes 1st time, the bulling string being the deffinate indicator. Good luck :D .
Isabel Long
Somerset
Issy

Post by Issy »

There you go - simon could have had a pet after all :D . bet he tasted lovely though.
Isabel Long
Somerset
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Di (or anyone) - I have someone asking me what the cost of AI is in total, any idea? He's got 2 bulling dexter heifers (mid-Shropshire).
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Thanks Di, have passed it on.
Clive
Issy

Post by Issy »

Good news Di,
We buy straws from the dexter society for £9 each (two at a time) and pay genus £20 for each service and £6.40 per month storage.
Isabel Long
Somerset
clacko

Post by clacko »

clive, i have just had my shorthorns done and have one of the bills in front of me now,
8 x straws @ £15 each £120 +vat
8 x consignment fee £4.45 each + vat
genus charged me £10 +vat per served animal wether there was 6 done or the the 2 which returned. and you also have the cost of synchronising if you wish to go down that route. i haven't had a bill for storage on the straws i have not used yet. hopefully mine are all in calf and the total cost including the first straws i ordered will be in the region of £110 per hiefer. that included vets and estrumate. frightening when you add it all up, oh and also i have royalty fees to pay if and when calves are registered :( . paul
paul , victoria & laura claxton
snarehill dexters
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We have one cow who calved this summer that we had no idea when she was due as we hadn't seen her bulling.

Looks like it will be a case of watching for her springing up again next year as we havent seen her with the bull though she has been with him since beginning of august.

Missed a year with her two years ago as she was away in a padock with a young heifer for summer and we didnt know she wasnt in calf till she came home for winter.

So I think we would have little chance with her with AI, though when kept with a bull he seems to do the business unseen.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire