new born advice please

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Kativa

Post by Kativa »

hi folks
just wondered if anyone could put my mind at rest this evening or confirm my worries ! ???
our 11 yr old cow calved at 5.30 this evening and is now safely in a dry barn with her babe, this is 7th calf but sadly last yrs was stillborn. the thing that's worring me is he's now 2 hours old and able to wobble about but seems uninterested in feeding. she has been very good and allowed me to position him and draw some milk which he has sort of licked and he has latched on to my fingers but i'm blowed if i can swap my fingers for her teat ! i'm very sure he hasn't already fed and therefore not hungry. of course this always happens when you're least expecting it and i dont have a bottle. i'm concerned that he might need to be tube fed but i don't have the knowledge ( or equipment) .........
is there anything i should do ? i don't have anything that i could make into an artificial teat and put on a bottle. our calves have always been born and on their feet feeding before we get to see them !

thankyou
jeanthomas

Post by jeanthomas »

Think again, no rubber gloves, marigolds? anything would help>? Desparate measures can help?

jean :(
Ted Neal

Post by Ted Neal »

I have had similar troubles with an old girl and a pendulous bag. In the end I had to throw the calf on it's side and squirt milk into its' mouth. Was the calf sucking strongly ? The taste of milk usually gives them the impetus to feed. It sounds as though you are doing the right thing just persevere.
moomin

Post by moomin »

Have you got a lamb bottle or a baby bottle, or a neighbour with a baby bottle, Dexters can suckle off a very small teat. Failing that get him to suckle your thumb not your finger, you can then manipulate the teat with your fingers. Sometimes helps to put your arm between the cows back legs, if she is good, then you can let him get hold of your thumb and lead him back till he hits a teat. and pull the teat into his mouth with your fingers and gradually remove your thumb. Helps if you have somebody at the back of him to stop him going back. Have patience and I guarantee backache!
I nearly always bottle feed at night if I am not sure and then I can sleep easy.
Good Luck,
Di
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

If all that fails, preferably with help, flip his legs from under him if he's a bit high to get his head down easily, get his head in your stronger hand, the teat in the other, and hold his head onto the teat (holding at the back of the head/top of the neck) and squirt into his mouth with the other hand whilst the teat and your fingers are all in there. After struggling, and he will could be strong, he will eventually realise this is quite nice then you can ease the pressure. Also the natural need to gulp will start a suckling process.

If you can do it without flipping him, fine. But if he's a long and moms a short, flip him on his side.

Too late now, but never calve without some colostrum available, man-made or natural, a bottle and preferably a tube as well. Because when it happens, everything is closed.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1262897499
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

PS Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Have you managed to get some colostrum into the calf yet? They need it within a few hours from birth or they cannot absorb the antibodies. Even a pint or half a pint may be enough to get it going.

One way if you don't have a bottle and teat is to hold two fingers in the calfs mouth and either squirt milk from the teat down between the fingers or run some you milked out previously from a jug.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Kativa

Post by Kativa »

:) thankyou all SO much , you don't know how grateful i am. silly thing is you feel all alone when it goes belly up , especially on a froxen january night !
well have just been back up , and although she's a bit proud and heady i managed to fool her into thinking he was drinking and get 60 mls into a syringe and then very gently syringe feed him, this seemed to give an idea that maybe he was hungry and eventually got him latched on ! WOO HOO ! took some effort and he doesn't appear to make enough effort on his own yet but a fab feeling that i've left him with a full up tum.
thankyou jean for your suggestion of gloves , funnily enough we thought of the box of latex gloves in teh shed , if really needed.
thankyou broomcroft , this has made me realise just how important a 'calving box' would be with such things. i shall get some of her colostrum and freeze it. am i right in thinking it only keeps for a year ?
thankyou ted , always helps to know others have got thru such things !
i think he is quite tall , his mum is a non short but does have an udder a friesan would be proud of ! he does seem to be a tad high up. i'll go back up later and hpoefully it will be a bit easier.
so so grateful to you all ............thankyou, thankyou .
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Well done.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

That is a relief, you will be able to sleep tonight now! :D

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Kativa

Post by Kativa »

thankyou all so much for your advice and concern
went back up in the night got him latched on and then left knowing he was full. when we got back to the barn at 6.30 this morning it looks like he has been feeding on his own on her other side so i'm really relieved !