Ringworm - Feed additive?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Our youngsters are plastered in ringworm and now we have a few more Dexters the younger ones are seperate from the older ones.

We used to give our dairy followers something in the feed for ringworm but I cannot remember what it was called. I would like to get rid of the ringworm as I want to handle them. Does anyone here use it?

I could just ask at the feed merchants but it would be nice to know what I am looking for and whether I get it from the vet or the merchants.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

The old Griseofulvin feed additives have been out of use for some time, probably on human safety grounds when used in food producing animals. Potentially some nasty side effects on the blood.

The only licenced product I use regularly is Imaverol, comes in 100ml concentrate, dilute 1 to 50, spray on 3 or 4 times at 3 day intervals. Your vet should have it or some merchants may stock it if they have a "suitably qualified person" to prescribe it.

If the older stock have not ever had ringworm try to keep them separate till the young ones have cleared up, as older animals are quite likely to take it badly if they have not been exposed as youngsters, and of course it takes more stuff to spray a cow than a calf. Give the calf pens a good clean as well, and if they can be put out in direct sunlight (what is that, us in the north ask) the fungus is very susceptible to death by ultraviolet.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Duncan,
Three questions please:-
1) Do you spray out the stall with anything in particular to disinfect it (Jeyes Fluid?).
2) If it is susceptible to UV, can a UV lamp be used as long as care is taken not to burn the livestock.
3) If the ringworm is round an eye is the spray safe or do you have to close theye of shield it somehow?
Many thanks
Tim
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

You could use any modern disinfectant, preferably one on the DEFRA approved list. Some of the old faithfuls are not approved officially, eg Dettol. Not sure about Jeyes Fluid.
FAM30, Sorgene, Virkon should be ok. Always clean something before trying to disinfect. Wood surfaces are notoriously difficult. A long stand in the daylight is good, I would not think it practical to use a UV lamp.
For applying stuff round eyes, which is where it is often worst, put the stuff on with a sponge or a cloth.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thanks Duncan,

It is a while since I had stock with the problem.

It will be difficult to eradicate from the concrete block wall and woodwork but worth a try.

There may be a way to allow them access to a yard, will winter sunlight make enough difference to be worth the trouble? Although one of the ones affected is just weaned and only came in from the field the day before yesterday. Not that there has been much sunlight here in South Wales for the last few months either!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We had ringworm years ago, quite a lot of it, but it just disappeared. Didn't do anything!
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

It does go away eventually Clive, probably IF we get some sun in the spring but I want to handle these before turnout, get them leading etc and don't want to catch it.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Colin

Post by Colin »

As well as silage eye (as per other thread) we're also having a spate of ringworm this winter, which we've never had before. Calves are fine, it's the adults. I wasn't sure what it was when first noticed as it was a mass of scabs under the fur on one side of a cow. The vet took a scraping to test and confirmed ringworm.

Been using Imaverol, but the ringworm has been spreading to others, mainly on their sides and legs, or around eyes and on head.

Mine are kept out in a paddock with field shelter and wood. So lots of trees around to rub against and spread it. I'm wondering if deer brought it in as there are a lot around.

Although we're down in the south, there hasn't been much sun since October. So looking forward to the weather improving.

The first cow seems to have got better herself. But others are taking a lot of spraying and I haven't got round to all of them yet. The red ones seem to be worst affected, for some reason.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
83-1203866593

Post by 83-1203866593 »

When I had ringworm a while ago I was advised to paint the areas with iodine which I did buying it from Superdrug, and it did seem to stop it spreading. I used one of those small hand sprayers for the hard to get at areas but as Duncan said the sun is the best and quickest cure.

Suzie
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

We had it bad last winter. after getting it myself on untold occasions we decided to try everything.
ringvac was actually the only effective method. the spray on stuff is a waste of time and money. we found the ringworm would have gone on its own before the chemical worked.

ringvac not only prevented young calves getting it but if you have a bad case a single injection started it cleaning up. ring vac is a vaccine that requires 2 jags i think a week apart. i have to say and i know Duncan wont be impressed but we found a single jag was adequate. we did it as part of a vaccine programme that included pnuemonia. it is expensive but for a few animals worth it.

we also found painting the wall and wood work, just with a water based paint, we actually used a cuprinol spray on wood treatment, helped put a cap on it. the only cases we have this year are calves that are not doing well. thriving calves have not suffered with it.

dom
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

New treatment available or soon to become available via the vet. Quite costly - requires two injections per animal. No further details.

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
Anthony Henman

Post by Anthony Henman »

Dear All, I am new to the discussion board but Ringvac was extremely successful and also I was told by my vet that the below stuff worked wonders, she was told by another client. It is a mineral drench which I have given to all of my housed herd, 44 in total, I will let you know how it goes. Also the infection will clear up in time if left, although it is horrible to look at!

http://www.osmonds.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Anthony and welcome. What is the name of the drench you refer to?
Clive
Anthony Henman

Post by Anthony Henman »

Hi Clive,

It is called Thrivit, you should find it on the Osmonds web site, it is available with or with out copper. I mistakenly ordered the one without copper. But seeing as I give them copper anyway I wasn't so bothered. You might want to enquire about an applicator because I used one which although was an oral drench gun, it wasn't designed for the container so had to drop the tube into the container and it was a bit awkward! If I can be of any further assistance let me know.

Regards
Anthony
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

We had ring worm quite badly about two years ago and i tried all sorts of things to get rid of it, and eventually a friend reccomended Ainsworths, which is a homeopathic remedy that you add to their water, every other day if they have it bad, and i have to say it worked remarkably well and the ones that were a bit quieter we sprayed with Immaverol. However one of our vets has started doing herbel remedies and said to try Tyme oil to put on the ringworm which i have tried this year as we always seem to have the odd young stock with the ring worm. It is easy to use, you put some in a syringe and apply it to the ringworm, because its an oil it seems to stick much better that the Immaverol and you only need to apply it the once if its not too bad. The steer we treated did need another application but now two weeks on the hair is growing back and all the ringworm is gone. We are getting it for about £11 a bottle which contains between 150 and 200mls approx. I thought this from a vet was great value. I would definately reccomend it.

cyndy