Dexters in the snow - Well not much snow

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We decided to get most of them in after I took these, as the biggest bunch go out by day and in at night anyway. So they came in for lunch - instead of tea.

What is the weather like around with other Dexter keepers?

Anyone got some "proper" snow shots?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

South west scotland, we have had a glorious spring like week. sunshine allday, set for the week i think

we have had a suprise yesterday, abull calf much earlier than planned. caused not so much by what date the bull went out, as what date he went in!! hope there are no more yet.
this is from my old bull, see previous post, he was put away for being unproductive!

some others muscling in on the camera action
<a
href="http://s906.photobucket.com/albums/ac26 ... nt=013.jpg" target="_blank">Image</a>
some other new arrivals
Anna

Post by Anna »

This is what dexters in snow look like:

Picture from today. We have had a few more decimeters during the last 24 hours. This is more than a normal west coast winter, but nothing extreme – happens once in a while. Today the wind is biting so dexters say "We are hungry" and as you can see she is considering eating me. I say "You are fat girls, use some flesh to stay warm, that will do you good". Dexters think I am very stupid and annoying, saying things like that..

Edited By Anna on 1266593372
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I like the pic of the cow and calf Dom, shows the maternal bond, they are all lovely to see. What sort of piggies are they?

Thanks Anna - that REALLY is PROPER snow! :D
Lovely photo as well.

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1266596093
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Kativa

Post by Kativa »

sorry ,trying to add photo in the snow but can't do it ! :(

oooops bit big this time...... :D

Edited By Kativa on 1266787431
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Who has got snow this time?

It has just missed us so far - just above us on the hills here.

We were just looking forward to turning out the ones that have wintered in when this last bit of wet weather reared its ugly head and spoilt all our best plans, so we are buying a bit more hay!

A very expensive winter.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Nice bull or steer Kativa.
Clive
CarolineL

Post by CarolineL »

Hope everyone ok in the latest snow - none here in Yorkshire but horrible, cold, wet and windy. Saw some of the snow pics on MSN - looks like central Scotland and N Ireland have got it quite bad. Not what everyone needs at this time of year!
Ferryboat Dexters
Richard Knott & Caroline Littler
Thorganby
York
Anna

Post by Anna »

Still some snow left. But spring fights and will hopefully win the battle. Sun yesterday, lots of rain today...

Soon I will let the cows out, they have been inside since the fence disapeared under the snow.
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Yesterday into this morning was the worst storm for some time. even in the heavy snow at christmas we did not have the horizontal drifts. terrible. 2 years since we last had gales like that. all my sheds are open to the east, and that was from the north east, so were full of blown snow and water this morning.

all our neighbours are lambing, thankfully i have another 10 days, but imagine wee lambs out in snow drifts. i here next door has lost quite a few.
spring, come on i need you!!
only 30 bales of silage left to.

dom
southern uplands scotland
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Crikey Dom - that was some storm.

Hope you get a thaw soon.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I would agree with Dom, yesterday was a really bad day here. Cold, driving east wind, waves breaking right across the road into gardens on the opposite side along the sea front of Rothesay, no snow lying below maybe 400feet but very nasty sleat all day with the wind. Really noisy day at our house between the noise of the sea and the wind in trees. I should think a lot of lambs lost round here, even one cow got today with temp way below normal and looks like dying (not Dexter)

I managed to get our outside cows out of the whins to eat some hay in the morning, but sneaked past in the afternoon to feed the ones in the byre, thought it best not to disturb the outside ones if they were well sheltered. By the time I got a couple of barrowfuls of silage into the byre my hands, even with gloves on, were in PAIN with the cold.

Today just as cold but the wind gone.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute