First Calf of the year

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

This one was born about an hour ago, a heifer, I have just suckled her, Mum is very delighted - humming away. :D

She will be getting some visitors, she is such a quiet cow and doesn't mind her calf being mauled every year, so local children will be coming to see it soon.

I shall post more pics when the calf has straightened out a bit.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi Saffy

no matter how many times you see a new born calf it still seems a miracle and its always very satisfying. Keep us updated.

cyndy

Edited By strawberriesclint on 1271970186
jeanthomas

Post by jeanthomas »

Well done, congratulations!

I have one due very very soon. Today the CCTV system turned up!! Due to my broken leg she is out at day and in at night. The lads have fitted the camera up in her stable, so guess wot I will be watching all night - will it be male/female/black/red/dun???? Really excited and definitely working on photo bucket - will do my best to post it - not managed to get it right so far but did join photo bucket the other day and managed to post a pic of my infamous dog, so fingers crossed!!

Jean in sunny suffolk
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thanks for the reply Cyndy, I am always excited about calvings - always have been. This one was a tad awkward as I treat Sports Injuries etc and had a couple of clients in that morning and it was really difficult to concentrate on my job, I was a bit distracted! Not fair on a client to treat the right knee if they have come in with a shoulder injury - anyway I managed to keep my mind on the job most of the time. Fortunately I was able to put the cow in a small paddock that I can see from a nearby window and she calved 15 minutes after the second one left. It did get stuck half way out and I popped the cords on and gave a heave because it tried to take a breath before it was out. Then it didn't seem to breathe so I lifted it up by its back legs for a few seconds, she gave me a quite a fright!!! I was so delighted that she was OK but if it was a few minutes earlier I would just have left the poor client lying on the treatment table! :D

Like you Jean I bought a CCTV - however it is still in the box! I have always wanted one, ever since they first came out and some very rich farmer was boasting about one in the Farmers Weekly decades ago! Well - I have GOT one now, they are much, much cheaper than they were then and some are cordless!!! :;): Good luck with your calvings, I take it you will post the results on here? How is your leg?

Here are a couple of pics I took when we put them out this morning. She seems a very relaxed little thing, more so than any of the other Dexter calves we have had. That will probably soon change!

The first one of the year always gets the most attention.

Now who is supposed to lead who? :laugh:

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

Stephanie I'm the same never tire of seeing those new calves, she looks lovely.
:D
Vicki