Fly Bites

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

One of my cows suffers every summer with fly bites near her eyes and this year they are worse than ever.

She has had a full dose of pour on and I also try to put summer fly cream around her face and treat the wounds as close to the eye as possible.

No sooner than it is applied than she has gone up to one of the others and rubbed it off on them, or scratches them with her rear hoof.

Has any one any suggestions for:

i) treatments / dressings that might be more robust?
ii) tried an equine fly mask on a cow?

Edited By bjreroberts on 1278082198
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

All the reports we are hearing is that it is a very bad year for flies. The local farmer came down and dosed ours two but our horses are being ravaged in the true sense of the word. We had to bring one in yesterday as she had blood running down her chest, my daughter got 17 off another in one go and we had yo bring one in mid morning today as she had got in such a state with them she was lathered up - she doesn't usually suffer and is out w/o mask or fly rug. We are in a valley so would expect to be a little worse but the farmer above is also saying it's bad and has some bad cases of flystrike.

Is everyone finding there are more this year?
Tim