Feedback on dexter sales - How are you finding it?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Since we updated the sales lists in the new format (end March 2010) it has encouraged a lot more users to send in photos of their cattle to use with the ads. Since the start of April i have added 300 new ads, thats in 4 months!.I have 450 ads sold and current on my new list.
These figures to me seem incredible. The last few months i have noticed a reduction in adverts for dexters in the Farmers Guardian, not sure about anywhere else.
Are people selling there stock?, personally i sold everything i had for sale this year by the middle of May, we have done 6 shows so far this year and have not had a single dexter enquiry at any of them which is unusual.
What have others experienced?. With the lack of grass and possible low yeilds for winter fodder are people not buying or is the site a success which people are using and sales are at there normal levels?
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Mark,

I think the revised site is great and I look at it regularly although I have not yet bought / sold anything through it. If and when I come to sell it would be my first port of call.

I agree with your observation that adverts for Dexters in the Farmers Guardian have reduced, but there seem to be quite a few adverts on sites such as preloved.co.uk (6 at present). I also think sales through general livestock auctions seem to have increased, at least in the Midlands with the sale at Rugby at the end of May and Shrewsbury today.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I went to the Shrewsbury sale today and the cows with small calf at foot fetched about 300-325gns, one got up to 400, they were mainly 3 year olds. I didn't see the whole sale. A bull didn't fetch much, 400gns I think, he had horns as did about half the cattle. Prices were a bit low for cattle generally unless a Charolais or BB cross came through, then a 10-11 month old would get up to 500-600.

We're reducing our cattle numbers and increasing our sheep, so we have sold quite a few young heifers and steers this year, plus a few breeding cows, probably 75% to farmers which was unexpected but a nice surprise. Again, farmers were bidding today. We've still got more to sell if anyone's interested, reg and non-reg.
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

i have never seen that preloved site before. searched for dexter and one of the finds was a pair of dwarf zebu calves!!
who the hell would want a zebu, never mind a dwarf zebu!!
£800 each
dexter where cheap mind

dom
ann

Post by ann »

I have been told that there was a lot of interest in dexters at the Yorkshire show however with places like Selby Market selling Dexters at £100 and under it doesn't help, however 2 of my friends have sold there surplus stock via the sale board. I was at a show today and all the inquiries I had was for dexter beef interestingly. :)
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

Saturday 7 August - Dexters entered in Rare Breeds Show & Sale at Cirencester market. Auctioneers Voyce Pullen.

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
stephen booth

Post by stephen booth »

As I am just starting a Dexter herd I find the site of great value , especially with the pictures added. With diesel and time at a premium cost, to be able to view potential stock saves many man hours and travel costs. Pictures never give a guarentee , but they go a long long way to giving an idea if a trip is worth the effort
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Pictures certainly do help don't they and not just for newcomers - for everyone. It really helps to have an idea what you are going to see.

The whole of my herd came about through this site - even the ones that weren't advertised here. As I bought my first Dexters from an advert I placed asking for a few nice Dexters and Beryl Rutherford answered! I didn't just get Dexters from that ad, I also got a good friend and Dexter advisor.

Thanks Mark :;):
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/