Heifer -vs- Steer Beef

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Has anyone experienced any difference in the flavour between heifer and steer beef. I have put 4 heifers in the freezer recently (for the first time ever) and it is nice, but quite mild, even though well marbled. Nothing here has changed at all, so I'm a bit puzzled. I have always been told that heifers taste "better" whatever better means.
Clive
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

Clive

We slaughter heifers and steers - the chefs we supply keep commenting about the beautiful beef, so there cannot be that much difference, if any. Chefs are the first to notice anything different that's why we aim for consistency in our management system.

Regards

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Clive, I read in an overseas publication that the "best" beef is heifer, 30 to 150 days into gestation!
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

It's not what is "best" that I'm asking really, because best is whatever your particular taste buds prefer. This beef we have is milder in flavour, it is still excellent, many would prefer it. Maybe I just notice it more because I prefer strong flavours. We supply butchers who will only have heifers.

The best steak I've ever had was off a sirloin off bull, that had a huge smell and flavour. We had a taste test with that bull beef and 3 out of 4 regular Dexter eaters said it was the best steak they'd ever had. Still wouldn't do bulls though because the rumps were best for shoe leather.

Maybe steers, being male, are a bit more muscular than heifers and as I believe this creates flavour as it does in wild game as against farm-reared game, maybe that's what is happening. I've done 4 different heifers at different times, so it must be something to do with their sex? Nothing has changed here at all. And all these heifers are straight off the field for best flavour I've always found.

What I'm trying to say is, has anyone noticed a difference between heifer and steer beef? Never mind which you prefer or whether it is good, just simply, is it different?

Edited By Broomcroft on 1287224613
Clive
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

Clive

Why don't you just ask Caroline to serve you two identical cuts of beef from a steer & heifer on the same plate - you'll be able to answer the question for yourself.

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I haven't got any steer beef Alison and I wanted a general idea, not just from one or two animals. I think I have answered the question myself in a way because we have a butcher who will only have heifers, and another who will only have steers, so they must think there is a difference, although the one only wants steers may be driven more by size. Don't know, I will ask them.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1287240899
Clive
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

Clive - well, I wasn't much help then was I?? Best you think of another way!!

Alison
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

Clive - I think it is probably the difference in carcass weight. We know that some butchers do prefer heifers, perhaps they have it in their minds that heifer beef is better for some reason.

Alison
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We found a dexter steer rib joint in our freezer and cooked it last night. It is definitely a stronger flavour than any of the heifer beef we have, even though the marbling is, if anything, more pronounced in the heifer beef. All slaughtered at a similar age and identical feed regime, all just grass/clover/forage.
Clive
Anna

Post by Anna »

What if meat taste is as individual as milk taste?

I know, buthering and hanging has very big influence om meat quality. Feeding and age is mostly important to taste. But what if the milk taste directly affects the meat taste?

I am a milk nerd, cannot help wondering. The answer may be blowing in the wind.
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Inger

Post by Inger »

The best beef we've had from our herd so far is from a barren 3 year old heifer. By that age she had good flavour and was still tender. She was larger than normal as she had a cyst in one of her ovaries, which we think was giving off male hormones as she behaved like a bull and was 500 kg liveweight, which is much bigger than any of our adult cows get to. It was a shame that we could never get her in-calf, but she's excellant eating. :)
Inger
NZ