Advice needed again please

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Is this sensible?

Possibly not. Have your vet check this cow soon and take advice on her future.
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Di, 9 is not old for a Dexter so I would never consider that it is a natural occurrence to start crippling up at this early stage.
The vet will know when he checks her out if she has other complications, but it could well be she has early arthritis due to being a chondro carrier, which some tend to do.
Short stepping in younger animals can indicate straight shoulders, and for this reason we personally cull any obvious 'tail-enders' who fall too far behind when travelling over some distance.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Quite likely to be arthritis if she's a chondro carrier. We had one last year at 10 years and she got to the point where she was hard to get out of the field. The problem started at age 9 and I didn't put her back to the bull. We had to have her culled for her own sake sorry to say.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1291209411
Clive
Joey Baker Cresswell

Post by Joey Baker Cresswell »

I have to say this is another reason I have gone away from the short legged as I had quite a few which as they got to 10+ became very stiflely as described by the stockman who helps me and walked more and more stiffly. Whereas so far never had the same problem in the non short or at least not until they are much older. I would definitely cull and not put in calf as I found they only got worse.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

From what I've heard, yummy. But best to hear from someone who's done it.
Clive
jeanthomas

Post by jeanthomas »

I guess it depends on how soft you are?? I have a cow who is 16 and owes me absolutely nothing. Last year she started to get stuck getting up, she would get her back legs up but take a while to get up on her front legs. I spoke to my vet and said I would like her to see the summer out if possible. He suggested we try her on bute (horse painkiller). She has been really good ever since! However, she cannot enter the food chain (which she couldn't anyway cos she is pre 1995) Some may think me mad - we are not usually that silly and have eaten plenty of them but....... there is just something about that cow!!!

Jean in very wet suffolk :;):
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

We had an 8 year old last year, the best beef without doubt we have ever had.

i still get customers talking about it and wanting more.

it was a sad day to see her go, i have plenty of hanger on and could not have another. it was good to see her not wasted and enjoyed by so many.

dominic