Genus Charges

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jac

Genus Charges

Post by Jac »

Could anyone tell me what the current charges are for AI i.e monthly storage and call out? If you order straws from the DCS (which are held at other Genus centres) do they charge you to transfer the straws to your local centre?
ann

Re: Genus Charges

Post by ann »

Hi monthly storage charges are currently £7.23 per month including vat.

i haven't had a call out lately so not sure how much it is currently, Genus will not charge you for transferring the straws but the DCS might.

In the long run its cheaper to order just the amount of straws you require plus a couple extra and if you don't use them all tell them to ditch them when you have finish with them, they will probably put them in the main flask, but even if they don't unless you are going to use AI on a regular basis it gets expensive just keeping a few straws.
Unfortunately I have some straws that are not replaceable so just have to keep paying until I use them all.

:( :(

BTW its worth getting some bovine beacons to put on your cows as when a cow is in bulling they go of and emit a light, so you know when to get a call out. Genus sell them and the last lot I got where not very expensive.
debra wiltshire

Post by debra wiltshire »

what is a bovine beacon?
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

A Bovine Beacon is one of a number of devices which can be stuck to the cow above the tailhead which have some dye in a capsule which is burst by another cow or bull mounting the cow - so they are a good help in heat detection. Tail Paint can also be used, it goes on smooth and gets rubbed when the cow is mounted. These things are a great help but not totally foolproof and can show positive when the cow has just rubbed on a gate, rail, etc.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
ann

Post by ann »

Hi Duncan You have been very quiet lately I was beginning to think you had gone on holiday!

:) :)
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Gone WHERE??

Linda and I did have 3 days in Skye in 2006.

Seriously though, if I am quiet on here I am probably too busy somewhere else. Vet work taking up too much time these days, and calving has not been too straightforward this year but I will report on that later. Also been very busy evenings and any other spare time cutting back a 30 foot out of control rhododendron hedge to replace a fence on rented ground which has not been repaired for about 50 years.

You can all see some Burnside Dexters stuff on Facebook.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Jac

Post by Jac »

Many thanks Ann. I am not contemplating using their services as a run my own bulls however, I often get queries regarding the costs of AI in comparision to hiring a bull.