Average age for heifers to calve

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Anna

Average age for heifers to calve

Post by Anna »

At what age do your Dexter heifers freshen on average? (Do one say freshen about first-timers?)

Is it possible to pull this kind of statistics out of the Herd Book, or any other cattle register?

Would be very interesting to learn more. We have a heritage register that can produce a lot of statistics, but so far it is worthless due to our very small Dexter population.
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Jac

Re: Average age for heifers to calve

Post by Jac »

Hi Anna

We have in the past aimed to calve down our heifers at 2 years of age especially the non-shorts but may delay this for a few months with the shorts if they have not grown sufficiently. I have to keep an eye on their condition through lactation and occasionally wean early (5 months) if I think the calf is pulling the heifer down as some tend to milk off their backs. Second time round they seem much more robust.

I would think it is very easy to check records in the DCS online herd book as the dates of birth are there for the cows and by clicking on 'progeny' you can see when the calves were born and work backwards.

Hope I have not misunderstood your question.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Thanks for the tip on looking up cows and their progeny in the herd book. I have spent some time exploring, it is very interesting. A very slow way of producing statistics though.

I have found that not few Dexters are nearly three years when they have their first calf. Is that a result of bulls spending just a few months with the herd, or is it a common practice to breed heifers fairly late? If the latter I guess it is because they need extra time to grow. But an extra year is a lot.. Can it be because spring calving is strongly preferred? Many questions..

I was primarily looking for statistics from a great number of heifers. But I am of course also interested in how you think and manage your own herds.

Ps. Did we have this discussion before? Pardon me if that´s the case. I searched but couldn´t find it.
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Anna

We always put our heifers to the bull at around 15 months, earlier if they are bigger ones and it fits in our timing. We're 100% spring calving, so calving at 24 months is perfect. We've never had to treat a heifer any different from a cow and wean at 8-9 months. I accidentally put 4 heifers to an Angus bull 2 years ago (usually use a Dexter first time), only one needed assistance as the calf was backwards.

I'd be worried leaving them till their older in case they put too much fat on, which I'm fairly certain they would here.
Clive
PorcPrunus NL

Post by PorcPrunus NL »

We try to let them calve at 24 months.
In the Netherlands most people with a own stockbull do.

There are a lot of smallholders who hire a bull sometimes. When a heifer is not 14 months or she is to small to cover, she will be covered a year later.
Some smallholders don't breed at al for a long time. Then they try to get their cows in calf. Mostly this failed because non-producing animals are getting fat.

At wich age do you want your heifers to calve?
Nico & Annemiek,
the "PorcPrunus" Herd in Holland.
member of Holland Dexter ( www.Dexterkoe.nl )
Anna

Post by Anna »

So far I have only had one Dexter heifer turn into cow, she was 25 months. I aim to breed them at 15 months, but with so little experience it is always difficult to know when the heifer is ready.

Getting fat is more likely here than being too poorly grown, I think. But also a well grown Dexter heifer can look very small..
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden