How soon can baled silage be fed?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
SteveM

How soon can baled silage be fed?

Post by SteveM »

We feed mainly hay, and mini hesston size wrapped silage which is mainly baled in july.

This year we had a 2nd cut off a couple of acres of grass/clover and have five round bales produced on 9th september.

Being round these will be easiest fed in a ring feeder so would like to use them up in the field before the cows come in for winter.

How long does a wrapped silage or haylage bale take to fement?
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Duncan MacIntyre

Re: How soon can baled silage be fed?

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Certainly not before Monday Steve, some of us are off the DCS AGM across the sea.

Duncan, off to get the first of two ferries!
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi..
I never feed big bales until they have had at least six weeks, if you feed before it tends to go straight through them. Hope this helps.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I thought it was OK (for cattle) straight away, but I've not fed earlier than about 2-3 weeks and that was more like haylage.
Clive
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tidied up our hay fields end of September so have eight roughly 3ft diameter round bales of silage this year, hoping to still have the cows out end of November so we can use them up in ring feeder in field, guessing they wont be too easy to handle into troughs being short grass and fairly heavy if kept till after the cows have come in for winter.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I started reading this thinking the whole thread was new (until I got to the bit about the AGM) - didn't read the date part of the year!