Blonde calves

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rob R

Blonde calves

Post by Rob R »

The thread on poor calving outcomes reminded me of a calf we had born in 2009 that was blonde, not dun but pure Blonde. As a result I named it after my, now, wife, but sadly it died within a few days despite getting ample colostrum, being brought in at the first signs of trouble and given antibiotics & a heatlamp, I think it was just genetically weak, as it was the first & only bovine I have ever had struck. I just wonder, has anyone else ever had a pure blonde pedigree calf, and if so, did it survive?
Broomcroft

Re: Blonde calves

Post by Broomcroft »

Do you mean an albino Rob?
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

I bought a blonde pure bred cow from a guy in Argyl and Bute. it was not registered but i bought its mother and several others from the same sire. it was very striking, looked like a charley. all her off spring where black, whilst she was here.
she left to go to a petting farm. i`ve never seenanother dexter like her.

dom
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Broomcroft wrote:Do you mean an albino Rob?
Nope, it was like a normal dun dexter, just very, very, very light. Sadly I never thought to photograph it. :(
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Just a light shade of dun. Over here in the US we have from very pale blond to dark chocolate duns, it's all in the genetics.

Carol K