Dexter about to calve

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi everyone.
First I would like to thank everyone for there input on my question regarding mineral licks, very helpfull.

One of my dexter heifers is about to have her first calve and unfortunately the service date was sometime over a three month period. The last date she can calve is the end of March. Her udder is progressing quickly and the behind of her is very swollen. What other tell, tell signs am I looking for and do the normally just get on with on their own ( obviously being kept an eye on ) or is it a case of it depends? As you can tell this is my first Dexter calf.

Cyndy
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Dexters are usually very easy calvers, but it's still good to keep an eye out for any problems, particularly with heifers (I'm sure our resident vet will also offer further advice) and one sign to look out for is a slackening of the ligaments at the tail head, as well as the swelling, and with the pelvic bones, which open out to allow easier passage of the calf.
At first there will be a waxy secretion from the teats, followed by the presence of colostrum.

The first vaginal secretion will be the clear mucus cervical 'bung' hours or even days before calving. When the water bag & feet appear, as in a normal presentation, they will articulate towards the cows feet, if not they are the back legs (essential to be able to recognise the difference, especially when assisting, but you will be best calling upon the services of an experienced stockperson or vet in the event of her needing such help).

Chances are that things will be fine for you.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

The udder will become more and more engorged with milk as calving approaches, the ligaments which run from the "pin bones" at the back of the pelvis to the tailhead will become relaxed in the few days before calving.
Whe calving begins she will look as though she knows something is happening, restless and looking round at herself, you may see her straining, and after a short while a fluid filled bag will appear. This may or may not burst as it appears and that is not really important, except that if it bursts it is only a thin membrane and not so easy to see. If there is a "water-bag" there and/or she is straining for more than an hour she should be checked to see that all is as it should be, that the presentation of calf is normal etc. If you have competent friends or neighbours that is the time to call them, if you do not you should consult your vet at that stage.
Quick reply only, not a full bovine obstetrical guide!
In the next day or two you should make sure that she is somewhere where handling is possible if that is needed, Clean bedding, means to get her on a halter without a fuss, and somewhere to secure the rope. Have on hand a clean bucket, soap, and disinfectant. It is a good idea to have a set of calving ropes on hand though they will probably not be needed and you should not use them yourself without proper guidance. Your vet can supply something to help a calf get started breathing - I like Dallophyline gel, which goes in the mouth. Dopram drops are also popular. You should have iodine or terramycin spray to treat the navel as soon as you can. Then hopefully stand back and let them get on with the first steps and feeding. The calf should have a good feed of colostrum within 6 hours of birth to get a good immune system boost, very important for the first few months of life and too late if not got in after the first day.Probably best to check that milk can be drawn from each teat at calving.
Hope you have a happy event.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Inger

Post by Inger »

She will probably just present you with a calf, early one morning when you go out to check her. Calving problems with Dexters are uncommon, so relax. Be prepared, but don't worry. Hope you get a heifer calf. Let us know how your cow gets on and what she has. All the best.
Inger
NZ
moomin

Post by moomin »

I have used this method for years to predict calving, and still do if I want to be there at the event, as I am sure you will.
It has never failed with hundreds of Dexters over the years and has saved me many sleepless nights!
The temperature of all mammals drops in the 24 hours before giving birth.
Get a good idea of the individual cows normal temperature first. Insert the thermometer rectally, spit on it first or soap it so it is slippy, scratch just under the cows tail, they usually lift the tail nicely for you, pop the thermometer in gently and she will probably not know it is there!
Record this temperature night and morning for a few days and you will have a baseline to work on.
When you get a drop of 1 to 2 degrees farenheit or 0.5 to 1 degree celcius she will calve within the next 24 hours.

One of the things you have to watch for is that very occasionally heifers are so enamoured with this little thing they have had that they follow it round for ages in a circle and the calf doesn't get to the udder till it is too tired. Just watch to make sure it feeds.
I try to put as little of my scent on the calf as possible, especially with heifers, so watch but dont interfere unless you have to!
Good luck,
Di
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi everyone.

First many thanks for all the helpfull information.

The heifer did calve but she needed help and it was a bull but must not be to dissapointed because both are fine.

The calf suckled from the cow 10 minutes after it was born and he hadn't even stood up yet, my dad couldn't believe it but I just said 'well that Dexters for you.'

Again many thanks to you all

Cyndy
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Congratulations, there is another dexter bull calf with two proud mothers!!

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute