DCS online herdbook

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
wagra dexters

DCS online herdbook

Post by wagra dexters »

I was frustrated and disappointed today to be unable to access UK pedigrees on line. When did that change? Thank goodness I have my herdbooks to refer to but not all breeders outside UK are quite so fortunate. Can anybody please shed light on the reasoning behind the change?
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Jac

Re: DCS online herdbook

Post by Jac »

wagra dexters wrote:I was frustrated and disappointed today to be unable to access UK pedigrees on line. When did that change? Thank goodness I have my herdbooks to refer to but not all breeders outside UK are quite so fortunate. Can anybody please shed light on the reasoning behind the change?
Margaret
Only within the last couple of days. As to why these changes occur ... members of the Society vote for (or not) who they want to make decisions about what happens which gives the elected (or not) a free rein to do as they see fit so I guess you will have to wait until someone from 'Council' comes along for an explanation of the reasoning.
Last edited by Jac on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

As a member of DCS I am not aware of any change in policy, but will investigate what is happening, please be patient, it may take an hour or two to find out.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Hi jac, dont jump to conclusions! I will also see what is happening.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Anna

Post by Anna »

I can access the herdbook, and it looks normal to me.
Last edited by Anna on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Jac

Post by Jac »

Mark Bowles wrote:Hi jac, dont jump to conclusions! I will also see what is happening.

:oops:
I will try, but the level of communication in general between 'Council' and members is awful at best and getting worse.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Anna wrote:I can access the herdbook, and it looks normal to me.
The problem comes when accessing the actual pedigree page for a particular animal. The system asks for your membership number and password.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:
The problem comes when accessing the actual pedigree page for a particular animal. The system asks for your membership number and password.
Does it? Or do you have to be in another country?
Jac

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote:
Jac wrote:
Does it? Or do you have to be in another country?
It appears to be operating normally now i.e. without the login
Duncan MacIntyre

Despite the adverse comments on DCS council on a world wide open forum. please note that council members were acting on this within minutes of realising that there was a problem. If any member feels communication is not good this shoulld be taken up with council rather than comments on this board.

As a council member I strongly believe that good and open communication is very important to the wellbeing of a society and I try very hard to ensure this.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Kelvin and Lottie James

Post by Kelvin and Lottie James »

I often look up different pedigrees and have never had any problem. What is so difficult about entering your membership number anyway.
Lottie James
Sedgefen Dexters
Duncan MacIntyre

The difficulty was raised by Margaret who is an enthusiastic Australian breeder. To date users did not need to be members to look up the herd book, but somewhere somehow in the last few days a setting on a computer running the programme has probably slipped, hence the change. I do not know for certain as my role in this was to alert those in charge asap, and then be patient till it was corrected. Others on council have also been involved.

I do not know the exact nature of the fault, and I do not intend to enter into any blame culture debate on this forum in relation to DCS. Suffice to say that it has been fixed promptly. Thanks are due to those running the Grassroots programme and in the DCS office for such prompt fixing of the problem, and our word wide users of the pedigree records can now do so again.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Jac

Post by Jac »

Duncan MacIntyre wrote:Despite the adverse comments on DCS council on a world wide open forum. please note that council members were acting on this within minutes of realising that there was a problem. If any member feels communication is not good this shoulld be taken up with council rather than comments on this board.

As a council member I strongly believe that good and open communication is very important to the wellbeing of a society and I try very hard to ensure this.

Duncan
Do not think that I am criticising Council I am for free speech and democracy. I have taken up the matter and I have asked the chairman of the Dexter Cattle Society for the relevent facts - when were the membership last given access to the Council minutes? Those who are also members will decide for themselves if they believe that the communication updates are sufficient and timely.
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

My first chance to get back to it, thank you to all concerned, all appears to be back to normal now. I always managed OK before but on-line is so easy and time saving.
Thanks Duncan, thanks everbody.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/