Wilful steer

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Fen Farm Dexters

Wilful steer

Post by Fen Farm Dexters »

One of our five long leg steers born July 2011 is very "forward" and comes up to us and starts tossing his head and butting. None of our other 20 dexters are like this. What's the best way to deal with this - do I rap him on the nose with my knuckles, or push him away, or ignore it? Is there are reason for his behaviour? If he was six months older he would in the freezer in no time!
LISA

Re: Wilful steer

Post by LISA »

Is it possible that he could be a Rigg? Not properly casterated. Just a few hormones could make him behave like this. If this is the case you will need to Jab any heifers he is with incase of pregnancy.

Or if he is out of an aggresive cow/Bull he could be genetically bad tempered anyway.

Or just a rum lad!
Fen Farm Dexters

His father was very placid indeed. His mother likes a stroke and seems fine, although this is the first calf we have had from her, having bought her earlier in 2010. She had another last year, but so far that one seems fine. She had her previous calf apparently in 2008. The vet castrated him with a knife, so I presume he shouldn't be a rig, or doesn't that necessarily guarantee it? He is a real pain - he also is an escape artist, being the only one climbing over their winter quarters fencing regularly.
ann

Post by ann »

You could try tapping him on the nose with a wooden spoon, if you tap him with the spoon end it will make him think twice but not cause any physical harm. The longer handle the better, just incase he is not impressed. Otherwise it might be worth thinking about beefing him a bit earlier.

:(
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have a steer a couple of months older that is very friendly and sometimes too friendly. If he's not getting a scratch he'll try and shove me with his head to get one. If he gets close to doing this, I give a loud hiss through my nose and mouth, prod under the side of his neck with my fingers and walk forward to force him back. He immediately gets the message and backs off quickly. But he's not aggressive, just a bit too pushy at times for a fuss.

You need to decide whether your steer is trying to demand attention or getting aggressive. Being assertive with him should help with the former, but I wouldn't recommend it for the latter. I've never had an aggressive steer. If I did, I'd put him straight in the freezer.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I'd treat him as I would treat a young bull. I never touch my bulls, scratch or anything. If as a youngster the bull comes wagging his head then they will get a sharp smack to the nose that he won't forget. Not had one yet that needs reminding. Nothing that would harm but nevertheless really stings, with a fine stick or whatever.

Not saying this is right but it's what I would do.

PS. If we had a young bull that repeated this, he'd be castrated … but you've already done that … and yes, the vet will have removed the testicles but it does take time for this to have an effect I think (6 weeks?) because hormones still in him I suppose.
Clive
Fen Farm Dexters

Thank you for the replies. I'd say he is definitely on the agressive side of curious - we have others who come up and rub or butt us gently because they want a fuss, but when you try to stroke him eg underneath the chin like with the others but he gets much more animated, gives the impression of not wanting it and seeing it as a challenge.

He was castrated 15 months ago, so shouldn't have any lingering hormones?

What would the meat be like at 18 months old - he's a long leg and has grown well, but would like to have him finished on grass - he's on late made silage, ad lib barley straw and licks over the winter.
Would the taste be better even after just a month or two of fresh grass?
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I had a steer that was bought in and he started to get dangerous, about once a week he would just run straight at me, so we put him in the freezer at 17 months and he was fantastic, just a bit smaller than he would have been.

My advice would be, don't waste time and possibly get hurt, there are enough dangers already, get him gone!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Colin

Post by Colin »

I slaughtered an 18 month old steer a few years back and he was fine. I agree with Stephanie. If he's aggressive pop him in the freezer now. You'll find him even tastier for it. And you'll be pleased he's gone.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest