current prices?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
debra wiltshire

current prices?

Post by debra wiltshire »

I know this is an often discussed subject but I have just spoken with a local butcher who has offered me £3.88 - £4.00kg (dressed carcass weight) for any finished steers. We would have to pay the killing costs. This is not something we have considered before but was wondering if all you lovely people in the know would give me your opinion if this a reasonable deal? I believe the commercial beef trade prices are depressed at the moment...thanks
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Rob R

Re: current prices?

Post by Rob R »

That is indeed a good deal, I assume that you also have to transport the animals to the abattoir, so it'll depend how far and how how often that is, but I can't see you getting a better offer - I couldn't top that.
victorfirst

Post by victorfirst »

What would that make the animal not taking into account fees and traveling etc
debra wiltshire

I will have to double check but think our local place charges £100.00 to kill. Only seven miles away so travelling not too much of a problem. He is quite a big chap but dont have access to any scales...
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Jac

Post by Jac »

190/200 kgs d/w?
jim riding

Post by jim riding »

with you stating dressed weight is that boned out ?
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

No, dressed is the carcass with any excess fat removed.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Interesting you think £4 per kg is a good deal as i now have 2 people happy to pay that for a half or full animal, one will pay me £30 costs as well which helps.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Oh, sorry, I mis-read the bit about who would pay the killing. Butchers should pay the killing & quote accordingly.
debra wiltshire

Thanks, I thought the butcher usually paid the killing costs but this chap said definitely "No"....
Perhaps not such a good deal afterall. Thanks
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Hello, just joined this forum and post and wanted to delve further / or rather clarify. The reason for this question is simple. I'm in the process of putting together a business plan, and need some rough figures. The plan involves farming Dexters and selling to local pubs / hotels, alongside a glamping venture and part time work in marketing. (I realise that profit will be hard to come by!) I already have 9 Dexters on 12 acres and am about to increase the land available to 30.I'd be interested to know three things:
1) what is the average price (roughly) you should get when sold to a butcher per kilo - is it £4
2) what is the average dead weight? 150-200Kg?
3) what is the average age of the calf when killed to gain these weights / prices?
4) Am I right in saying average cost of abattoir fees is £100 per beast?

thanks - and please excuse any naivety in this, we all have to start somewhere!!
A
Jac

Post by Jac »

Hello Tremewan and welcome to the site. I am sure others will be along shortly to give you the benefit of their experience.

1) I cannot give you an answer to question 1 as I sell direct to the public however, I would suggest that you ask the businesses you intend to sell to directly what they are prepared to pay (as they know their margins or should do) and whether they would be interested in taking a whole carcase as that way you will kill several birds with one stone - you can work backwards to see if it is worth your while, how many you can reasonably expect to sell, hopefully get some pre-orders.
2) Average dead weight varies from short to non-short at given age, sex, quality of your breeding stock and feeding method. 150 to 200 kgs is a reasonable guess but I personally would anticipate in excess of 200 kgs for non-short steer approaching 30 mnths.
3) Average killing age rule of thumb 24 to 30 mnths but again 2) applies I have sent animals in under 20 mnths and achieved weights in that range.
4) Killing only in my area £70.

Good luck with your new venture (s).
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

thanks Jac, thats very helpful. I think in the short term I shall speak to a number of local butchers and see what they say. The slight problem maybe a saturation in the market as I suspect North Devon have a lot of people like me!!
Jac

Post by Jac »

Many people doing exactly the same can be positive thing Tremewan however the main problem for the small producer is producing sufficient quantities as many hotels, pubs and restaurants want continuity of supply. Unfortunately getting people together to set up a supply chain is like herding cats and one person's idea of an acceptable carcase is not the same as the next and as ever, nobody actually has the time or inclination to organise it.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:Many people doing exactly the same can be positive thing Tremewan however the main problem for the small producer is producing sufficient quantities as many hotels, pubs and restaurants want continuity of supply. Unfortunately getting people together to set up a supply chain is like herding cats and one person's idea of an acceptable carcase is not the same as the next and as ever, nobody actually has the time or inclination to organise it.
The other problem being that wholesale customers can also drop you at the drop of a hat which means you need a much bigger supply to ensure a diverse market (ie several customers) to avoid you being left with a lot of carcasses to move on if your customer suddenly goes out of business/changes suppliers.