Changes to Showing Rules

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jac

Changes to Showing Rules

Post by Jac »

In a previous topic 2loo2loo posted
there now appears a rule that the exhibitor must have officially owned the animal for 3 months prior to ENTRY for the show.
Can anyone throw any light on to what the rationale is behind this new rule or how it will be enforced?
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Re: Changes to Showing Rules

Post by Mark Bowles »

The rule is only for DCS show points, nothing else.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Jac

Post by Jac »

Thanks for that Mark. Perhaps it needs clarifying in the publication or people who just do the odd show or two might think they can't enter.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I can see that there is reasoning behind this rule.

If you have just bought the animal and take it almost straight to a show, you haven't bred it, you haven't trained it, you haven't fed it to show condition and you probably haven't even trimmed it.

Years ago most of the shows had a rule that an animal had to be either bred by the owner or at least been in your ownership for 3 months prior to the date of the show.

(I was slightly miffed nearly 40 years ago when I had Reserve Champion at a show with a lovely dairy home bred heifer and the gent whose six month bull had Champion - he had only bought him 3 weeks previously at a very famous dispersal, so everyone knew he was breaking the rules! However I wouldn't have wanted to pay the six figure sum he did for him .....)

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Candy

Post by Candy »

Saffy wrote:I can see that there is reasoning behind this rule.

If you have just bought the animal and take it almost straight to a show, you haven't bred it, you haven't trained it, you haven't fed it to show condition and you probably haven't even trimmed it.

Years ago most of the shows had a rule that an animal had to be either bred by the owner or at least been in your ownership for 3 months prior to the date of the show.

(I was slightly miffed nearly 40 years ago when I had Reserve Champion at a show with a lovely dairy home bred heifer and the gent whose six month bull had Champion - he had only bought him 3 weeks previously at a very famous dispersal, so everyone knew he was breaking the rules! However I wouldn't have wanted to pay the six figure sum he did for him .....)

Stephanie
Many people start showing with a bought in animal Stephanie and win top prizes with them. If you pay good money for an animal that is show quality it is fairly obvious you are buying it to show. If you buy from a top showing herd dispersal sale you would expect those animals to have been fed to showing condition and be trained. Most shows have a ruling in their catalogue as to how long an animal should have been in your ownership.

With Three Counties it says the animal has to be registered in your name/ownership at the closing date for entries. Whilst it should be the shows responsibility to check this it must be difficult with the amount of entries they have. Therefore the onus could rest on the other competitors to point this out to the show, if they aren't prepared to do this then it is no good muttering in corners after the event.

No offence meant :)
ann

Post by ann »

Although I don't show any more, shows in the north definitely need more dexters being shown and I personally think if you are starting a herd and wish to show, then start with the best you can afford, a lot of people show dexters bred by other people Eagleridge Roxy Lady is a good example, although I showed her as a heifer I could never campaigned her like Graham as done. I hope some of the cattle sold on saturday will grace the northern shows as we certainly need a few new competitors :)
Jac

Post by Jac »

Candy said
Therefore the onus could rest on the other competitors to point this out to the show
How would they know unless of course they saw the animal with the old owner at a show a couple of weeks ago? There is no last 'date of transfer' in the herd book.
Jac

Post by Jac »

ann wrote:Although I don't show any more, shows in the north definitely need more dexters being shown and I personally think if you are starting a herd and wish to show, then start with the best you can afford, a lot of people show dexters bred by other people Eagleridge Roxy Lady is a good example, although I showed her as a heifer I could never campaigned her like Graham as done. I hope some of the cattle sold on saturday will grace the northern shows as we certainly need a few new competitors :)

Credit to you Ann, very satisfying.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Jac wrote:Candy said
Therefore the onus could rest on the other competitors to point this out to the show
How would they know unless of course they saw the animal with the old owner at a show a couple of weeks ago? There is no last 'date of transfer' in the herd book.
Yes very good point but in circumstances when you do know then you should stand up and be counted instead of letting bad feelings fester.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Candy wrote:
Jac wrote:Candy said
Yes very good point but in circumstances when you do know then you should stand up and be counted instead of letting bad feelings fester.
This is the trouble with showing Candy one gets very wrapped up in the moment. Not always a 'fun day out'?
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Jac,

I am not suggesting that showing a bought in animal is wrong at all, I would think most people do it and it is quite the normal thing to do...just that it is - different to having produced it yourself and that years ago shows didn't allow folks to show an animal unless they had owned it a certain length of time.

Not ever having been a member of council I have no idea why the rule has been made - I'm just guessing...

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Jac

Post by Jac »

Saffy wrote:Hello Jac,

I am not suggesting that showing a bought in animal is wrong at all, I would think most people do it and it is quite the normal thing to do...just that it is - different to having produced it yourself and that years ago shows didn't allow folks to show an animal unless they had owned it a certain length of time.

Not ever having been a member of council I have no idea why the rule has been made - I'm just guessing...

Stephanie
I am sure you're not. Whilst it is good that people do buy animals in to show I personally cannot see the satisfaction in showing something you haven't bred.
Candy

Post by Candy »

This is the trouble with showing Candy one gets very wrapped up in the moment. Not always a 'fun day out'?[/quote]

You don't have to tell me that one - I know.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

ann wrote:Although I don't show any more, shows in the north definitely need more dexters being shown and I personally think if you are starting a herd and wish to show, then start with the best you can afford, a lot of people show dexters bred by other people Eagleridge Roxy Lady is a good example, although I showed her as a heifer I could never campaigned her like Graham as done. I hope some of the cattle sold on saturday will grace the northern shows as we certainly need a few new competitors :)
Do we, really? Showing is a costly business, and is getting harder for younger folk with more licensing (animal & vehicle), insurance, time and, ultimately, animals gaining a greater value simply because of the showing. The Dexter has always prided itself on being the thrifty house cow but I can't see much thrift in an animal that costs several thousand to buy and transport around the countryside, is fed differently, etc., etc. As a hobby, it's fine, but as a way to judge cattle isn't, perhaps, linear assessment a fairer, more transparent way for the future?

Given increasing concerns over biosecurity, cancelled shows due to weather or lack of entries, perhaps showing has had it's day. I'd like to think that the breed still has a value away from showing, as a cow, back on the farm, and it is this that will secure it's future.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

And talking of costly..."feeding for showing" whilst I really wouldn't want to see thin animals at shows - (,or anywhere else), in this day and age where we are aware that being hugely fat is not healthy for the animal - why are hugely fat animals still the norm for showing in the dexter world? Surely it should be frowned upon for both cost reasons, health reasons and the fact that it is more difficult to see conformation underneath all that condition?

The dexter is dual purpose, so her udder and milking ability is as important as beef and fat is not beef anyway!

Tip top working condition should be looked upon as ideal and not extremely over fat.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny