Moving Forward

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jac

Moving Forward

Post by Jac »

The AGM papers are out, a Council shuffle but sadly not enough for an election this time round. Has anyone got any ideas for further progress? To get the ball rolling here are some starters .......

Linear Scoring
In the early stages or when take up is slow linear scoring does nothing to break the cycle of poor animals from being bred in the first instance since in the case of females they must be in milk when they are assessed and in both males and females– the more mature (up to a point) the better.

Expansion of the voluntary linear scoring system to encompass pre-breeding animals
This could take the form of a simple visual inspection of older heifers before they are first put with the bull to ensure that there are no serious faults apparent at that stage. The same could be offered to owners of prospective breeding bulls. No score would be given simply a pass or a fail. Apart from the obvious benefits to scheme take up, it helps confirm that an individual’s breeding programme is on track and it may also be of benefit to breeders of acceptable animals (who weren't going to run them on) in demonstrating that a particular heifer/bull has at least achieved a minimum standard by passing an independent inspection. Assessment of pre-breeding animals would also help keep costs down if a member had only one or two mature animals to fully assess at the time. If the age range was adhered to then unsuitable animals could be finished for prime beef (under 30 months) – see expansion of special sales.

Education at point of entry for new members

Induction day run say, once a year at Stoneleigh. An accompanying DVD to serve as a reference or sent out to new members if they are unable to attend their induction day. It helps also as a 'getting to know you' affair - a shared interest and a chance to put a face to the office staff who they will be dealing with. Making their first AGM perhaps a less daunting prospect so maybe they don't feel like I did, as if it was the 'first day at school'.

Induction Programme (suggestion?)

Basic introduction to the Society and organisational structure (inc groups)
Brief intro constitution, by-laws etc, where to find
AGM, proposing, standing, voting that sort of thing
The Herd Book/Online Herd Book
Registering/transferring stock
The breed standard
Beef Scheme
Linear Scoring

(Nothing too heavy, just an overview of each topic to create awareness and hopefully stimulate interest to learn more) A Q and A session during/afterwards will assist in identifying gaps and improving future content.

Education
An increase in the number of training courses available in DVD format may expand our horizons in a variety of possibilities for example, beef production or home dairying so at the very least keep the milk lines going to ensure the breed remains dual-purpose not forgetting the importance of showing, herd health etc. These DVDs could be sold to members to help offset costs. Groups could be sent a complementary copy of each for film shows at Group meetings.

Breed Promotion
For prospective Dexter owners/the general public – a series of seminars demonstrating the practical uses of the breed - conservation grazing projects , certified beef, smallholder use incorporating dairy stuff etc. A professionally produced DVD (also accessible on YouTube?). It would be helpful if the DVDs were produced in a sensitive way focussing attention on the cows themselves or the processes involved and not to be seen as promotional tool for individual herds or business as it may lead to resentment and bad feeling :evil: which impedes progress.

Mentor a Beginner Scheme
If beginners require general help then they ring any member near to them and it is not a rehash of the field advisor role. This is more specific stuff (and some of you old timers reading this know exactly what I'm talking about :wink: ) Experienced breeders ( say 10/20 years plus - you never stop learning but I hate to say too long because there are not many left! ) could be encouraged to take a newcomer under their wing. I was one of the lucky ones having been introduced to the late Bill Butcher when I first started by our current president so know from experience how helpful this can be. Learning from the mistakes of others who have been there, done it and got the tee shirt is the best way to prevent much backtracking and wasted effort which results in lost years and in many cases disillusionment, abandoned projects or leaving the Society altogether.

Herd Health
More could be done to promote the take-up of health scheme membership (see above education) The government are making steady progress towards mandatory testing for certain diseases so perhaps it is in our interests to be ahead of the game.

Expansion of Classes at Shows
Meaningful additions to the show catalogue. Giving breeders something to aim for and prospective buyers the impression that the Dexter has also purpose as well as cute little darlings that have captured our hearts and emptied our pockets.
i.e. Steer classes at all shows – where the public/trade see finished animals. Even better when they are offered at auction afterwards e.g. at the Melton Mowbray breed sale in September. Milking cow in addition to Cow in Milk - hard facts the amount of milk produced not a cow paraded with a calf around the ring. This is going to require some effort but may become more popular if specific training courses take off.

Special Sales
A proper outlet for stock that are not suitable for breeding purposes and finished stock surplus to requirements. Sold with birth notification papers only so they are eligible for use in the certification scheme but not eligible for registration or if fully registered their papers are withdrawn.

No doubt some of these will have been tried before but didn't take off. Review, improve and try again? I am sure there are loads more ideas out there to keep our committees busy. Don't be shy - I don't have the monopoly. We can put them all together and send them in for consideration?
LISA

Re: Moving Forward

Post by LISA »

Hello Jac,

I hope your new topic will provoke alot of responses and general positive thoughts.

Something serious does need to happen within the breed and very soon.

We have sold stock to several new people this year but these people have generally wanted Dexters for the past ten to fifteen years (and now they have a change of circumstance to allow cattle). We have sold almost all we wanted to sell this year but calls are far fewer than ten or more years ago.

By coincidence I was looking (out of nosiness!) at the Judges list for the 2016 shows and was shocked at how many Dexter classes have been cancelled at shows this year. Classes are usually cancelled if there are no entries or too few entries. This is a terrible shame as generally once the show has lost a breed they will not reinstate the classes another year.

Some of the big herds have dispersed, retired or are showing and keeping alternative cattle breeds instead (Beef Shorthorn and Hereford seem popular as an alternative or addition with traditional Dexter breeders).

Much needs to be done to promote the breed, and reignite the enthusiasm of existing breeders, and encourage young people into the breed (or to stay in the breed and not switch to another breed).

Best Wishes

Lisa Bell
Jac

Post by Jac »

Lisa said
Something serious does need to happen within the breed and very soon.
Thank you for your support Lisa. I don't think the situation is irretrievable. I don't envy those on Council though.

I don't think the Shorthorn is for me despite bigger carcass weights. Well developed mothering instinct in a 'field' cow at 800 kgs how scary is that?

Some very interesting stats here though

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 0aug16.pdf
Jac

Post by Jac »

We are not doing very well with this thread at the moment.

Cast your mind back to periods in the breed's history when things were going well.

1) What conditions existed?
2) What sort of animals were they producing?
3)Why did people want to buy them then but don't now or at least not in previous quantities?

Looking at other breeds that are doing well currently are they expanding and getting good prices because they are rare?