Calf - hand rearing help please.

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Tim Watson

Calf - hand rearing help please.

Post by Tim Watson »

It looks possible that yesterday's calf is going to need hand-rearing. What's the best way to do it? I know the priority is to get her to accept it and do the job but it's not looking good at the moment. Could someone give me a daily feed guide please, starting from day 2 onwards (we stripped colostrum yesterday night and got that into it). I can research online but all the quantities are huge. Many thanks in advance. Fingers crossed that it's mum will stop 'being a cow' and start doing the job herself!
Tim
moomin

Re: Calf - hand rearing help please.

Post by moomin »

If you haven't got a crush then pen mum up and put calf in a pen next to her, sheep hurdles are useful for this! Go to supermarket and buy whole milk to feed to calf - bit more expensive than powdered but calf will tolerate better. Feed about 4 pints a day in 2 or 3 feeds to start with if short leg. Non-short will need about 5 pints. Calf will let you know when full.
Have you used a dog? Mothering instinct often kicks in if cow threatened by dog!
If you can milk cow use that milk, as milk goes through calf poo will smell of mum! Early days yet, takes 3 or 4 days don,t despair.
If cow has tried to kick calf off then this will send strong message to calf not to feed at moment and calf will also be imprinted on the bottle and probably your wellie! Try not to handle calf too much and try to feed it next to mum. As calf gets older then will get more pushy.
Have you tried feeding calf through the "back door". Sometimes works.
If you want to ring me number is in members area, council, on society website or herdbook, please feel free. Don't want to put phone number here.
Di